[nfbwatlk] FW: National Convention Scholarship Information

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Mar 28 01:28:38 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-or-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfb-or-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Renee Squier
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 4:15 PM
To: NFB of Oregon mailing list
Subject: [Nfb-or] National Convention Scholarship Information

Hello,
I wanted to let everyone know that there is a Scholarship available for
those wanting to attend the National Convention in July in Orlando. There is
also a pending deadline to apply for this Scholarship of APRIL 14th!
Here is the article:

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund is looking for individuals
who can use some financial assistance to attend our national convention in
Orlando, Florida. In 2011 our convention will begin on Sunday, July 3, and
run through Friday, July 8. The convention ends with the banquet Friday
evening.

Who is eligible to receive a Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship?
If you are a member of the National Federation of the Blind, you are
eligible to apply. Preference, however, will be given to first-time
convention attendees.
The scholarship selection committee is able to make an occasional exception,
but first-time convention participants are the target group.

What do I have to do to apply for a Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship?
You must do the following and are responsible for these application
requirements:

1. Find out who your state NFB president is and get him or her to write a
letter of recommendation for you, or you may have a chapter president or
other officer write a letter of recommendation, but we must have a letter
from a Federation leader who is familiar with you.

2. You must write a letter to the Kenneth Jernigan Fund committee expressing
the reasons why you want a scholarship. Describe your participation in the
Federation and what you think you would get and give to the convention.
Please send all information to Allen Harris, 5209 Sterling Glen Drive,
Pinson, Alabama 35126, or email the information to <allen.harris at dwx.com> or
<joy.harris at dwx.com>.

3. You must register for and attend the entire convention, including the
banquet.

What else must I do to insure that my application will be considered?
We must receive all of the following:
1. Your full name
2. Your address
3. Your telephone numbers (home, business, cell) 4. Your email address (if
you have one) 5. Your state president's name and the name of your local
chapter, if you attend one All applications must be received by April 14,
2011.

How do I get my scholarship funds?
You will get a debit card at the convention loaded with the amount of your
scholarship award. The times and locations to pick up your debit card will
be listed in the notice you receive if you are a scholarship winner. The
committee is not able to provide funds before the convention, so work with
your chapter and state affiliate to assist by advancing funds you can pay
back when you receive your scholarship.

When will I know if I have been selected as a Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship
winner?
The committee makes every effort to notify scholarship winners by May 15,
but you must do several things to be prepared to attend if you are chosen:

1. You must make your own hotel reservation. If something prevents you from
attending, you can cancel your reservation.

2. You will receive a letter with the convention details which should answer
many of your questions. It is also helpful to find a mentor from your
chapter or affiliate to act as a friend and advisor during the convention.
Although you will not know officially whether or not you have been selected
until mid-May, you must make plans to attend and then adjust your plans
accordingly.

This past summer in Dallas the Jernigan Fund scholarship committee awarded
seventy Kenneth Jernigan Scholarships. The average grant was $600. You can
include in your letter to the committee any extenuating circumstances which
the committee may choose to take into consideration. Above all, please use
this opportunity to attend your first convention and join several thousand
other blind Federationists in the most important meeting of the blind in the
world.

If you have questions or need additional information, call Allen Harris at
(205) 520-9979 or email him at <allen.harris at dwx.com>. You may also email
Joy Harris at <joy.harris at dwx.com>. We look forward to seeing you in
Orlando.