[nfbwatlk] spam messages

Gloria Whipple ladygloria at webband.com
Thu Mar 24 00:00:09 UTC 2011

Mike,

I think you and Dave do a fine job.

Keep up the good work!

Gloria Whipple
Corresponding Secretary
Inland Empire chapter
nfb of WA

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Mike Freeman
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 16:45
To: NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [nfbwatlk] spam messages

Humberto:

Keep your shirt on!  Nothing sinister is afoot.  I went through all the
messages held for approval by the list operator and let a couple through.
This information is presented in a huge table.  I accidentally checked a
checkbox that allowed the spam message through.  There are spam filters on
the list which are very effective but the messages are held in case the
spam-fighting software makes an error.

If you had read through the rest of your messages before popping off, you'd
have found out that I apologized for the mistake.  No one is grabbing your
address although, in truth, simply by participating in a public list, you
are leaving yourself open to harvesting of your address.  The NFB list
software does some minimal obscuring of the address but an intelligent
spambot could probably figure it out.

This may seem a bit harsh.  I wouldn't be landing on you except that every
time David Andrewsor those who help him accidentally let a spam message
through, people go hysterical, thinking that something awful is happening to
them.  While understandable, it's extremely exasperating to those of us who
administer lists.  Truly you are lucky there isn't *more* spam getting
through.

On the other side of the coin, if posters would heed the List Rules and
Administrivia posts and post only from the addresses they subscribed from,
David or I wouldn't have to go thru and manually vet their posts.

How about let's all exercise a bit of sanity and sophistication, huh?

Mike Freeman, Assistant List Administrator

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbwatlk_nfbnet.org/k7uij%40panix.com