[nfbwatlk] FW: [Dtb-talk] FW: Downloading BARD Books with Internet Explorer 9

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Jun 26 22:35:28 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: dtb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:dtb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Mike Freeman
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:33 PM
To: 'Discussion of Digital Talking Books'
Subject: Re: [Dtb-talk] FW: Downloading BARD Books with Internet Explorer 9

My experience with BARD downloads and IE 9 is slightly different.

First, the similarities with the original post: I agree that Alt+S in answer
to the "open or save" question bypasses the Information Bar. I also agree
with the regimen for changing the default location of the download although
one can do this from the save dialog (see below).

Now the differences with the original post: When I've hit ENTER to download
a book and then hit Alt+N to go to the Information Bar, focus is on the
"View Downloads" button so in order to determine to save once in the
Information Bar, I must *first* press Alt+V or space to get into the
Download Center. I could have just as easily gotten there with Control+J.
Once I'm in the Download Center which I had to get to in order to proceed --
the buttons aren't visible from the Information Bar as the post below
indicates, at least not for me -- (as when I want to see the status of a
download or cancel it once it's started), on my Windows 7 system, focus is
on the "Pause Download" button rather than on the Cancel button. I must hit
the right-arrow key to move to the Cancel button. Then hitting either space
or ENTER will cancel the download. Similarly, if I hit Control+J to get to
the Download Center when I'm initially asked to go to the Information Bar
(rather than using Alt+N), moving left or right with the arrow keys moves me
to the "Open" Button and the "Save" Button which are as the message below
describes. Nota bene: with JAWS one will hear a lot of verbage in the form
of file and download location before hearing the button one is on. I imagine
this is due to the new presentation method by IE 9 for screen-readers.

Clear as mud? Experiment a bit and it will all come clear.

Mike Freeman