[nfbwatlk] Baltimore Meeting

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Aug 11 04:02:22 UTC 2011

I lied; it's tonight rather than last night. (grin)

The majority of the seminar was taken up with discussion of the financial
coding system devised by our national office for state affiliates to
categorize their income and expenditures in order to facilitate filling out
IRS Form 990's for the affiliates. This is now done in the national office.
Their was also a fair amount of discussion of the rationale for these forms
and a discussion of the increased scrutiny all nonprofits undergo these days
by both government and the public.

However, in his welcoming remarks last Friday evening, Dr. Maurer said that
what we (NFB) are searching for now is someone in Congress with the courage
to introduce the legislation we've drawn up to repeal Section 14(c) of the
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) which provides the mechanism for employers
to gain certificates that allow them to pay disabled employees less than the
minimum wage. We are also continuing our opposition to Section 511 of the
reauthorization of the Workforce Investment Act which enshrines these
minimum wage exemptions into the Rehab Act. We have been singularly
successful in blocking consideration of this section so far and we have made
it clear that we will continue to oppose this proposal despite protests of
staff of senators and the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP)
Committee that (1) we don't know what we're talking about and (2) other
organizations do not espouse our position.

We still want signatures on written petitions such as those we passed out
before our recent protest to be sent back to HQ to keep the pressure up.

Also (and this is my injunction), I believe that we should see if Senator
Murray will be holding any town meetings in NFBW chapter cities and we
should make the effort to attend these and bring up the minimum wage issue
during Q&A.

Mike Freeman