[nfbwatlk] new British Library app; accessibility (fwd)

Frederick Driver wt329 at victoria.tc.ca
Mon Aug 8 16:41:04 UTC 2011

copy, FYI

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 09:35:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Frederick Driver <wt329 at victoria.tc.ca>
To: disability-support-officer <disability-support-officer at bl.uk>
Subject: RE: FW: new British Library app; accessibility

Dear Ms Walker,

Digitization projects are vastly increasing access to resources and
information that were formerly unavailable.  But when they are only made
available as visual documents, inaccessible to screen reading technology,
they exclude the blind and other print-disabled citizens.

It is important, especially in the context of public libraries and
institutions, that new technologies and resources incorporate
accessibility for blind and other print-disabled users.

I have seen digitization projects which include both visual access to the
original documents, and straight text/ html.  The latter not only
facilitates access for blind and print-disabled users, but offers
advantages and options for other users as well, in terms of ease of
quoting and citing and access from a range of portable devices.

The National Federation of the Blind and the Jernigan Institute are
leaders in this area.  You may wish to contact them:  www.nfb.org

Thanks again for looking into my query and for the information.  I will
pass it along.

Best regards,
Frederick