[nfbwatlk] FW: [wtbbl] Information about WTBBL

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 5 23:39:08 UTC 2011

As you know, the Washington Talking Book & Braille Library (WTBBL) is a part
of the Washington State Library (WSL).

We have just received the House budget, the first legislative budget to be
released by the 2011 Legislature. In it, the Library is targeted to receive
a 22% cut, approximately $2.7 million dollars. While the State Library and
the Legacy Oral History Project are listed in the Office of the Secretary of
State, we are awaiting the results of HB2033 which would take us out of our
present home and place us in a new Department of Heritage, Arts and Culture.
HB2033 and the House budget plunder the funds dedicated to building a
Heritage Center to house both the State Library and State Archives.

Over the last 10 years, the State Library's funding has been cut 36% and its
staff has been cut 52%.  The budget and staffing at WTBBL have also been cut
significantly.  A 22% cut will severely impact WTBBL and library services.

We are still awaiting the Senate budget and once it is out there will be
negotiation in the Legislature.  We should have a final budget by April 24th
if they finish on time.

I will keep you informed as I have more budget information.

Respectfully,

Danielle

Danielle Miller

Program Manager

Washington Talking Book & Braille Library

2021 9th Ave., Seattle, WA 98121-2783

p: 206.615.1588 / f: 206.615.0441

 <mailto:dking at secstate.wa.gov> danielle.miller at sos.wa.gov

www.wtbbl.org / www.facebook.com/WTBBL