[nfbwatlk] FW: Organizing for Seattle June 13th meeting and notes

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 06:56:14 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

Couple items in today's OFS Gazette:

1.	All OFS meeting on June 13th from 2-3:30 PM at 1846 S Weller st (my
house).  Beer and political gossip provided.

2.	This week is candidate filing week for Democratic (and Republican --
blah!) Party Precinct Committee Officers.  Good opportunity for OFSers to
push the Mayor's agenda in local precincts.

3.	The media needs a dose of OFS reality.  Comment bomb this article
and let them know!
http://www.publicola.net/2010/06/07/mcginn-needs-some-allies/

All OFS Meeting this Sunday in Central District at 2PM
I slacked a bit and didn't nail down our usual space in the Hiawatha Artists
Lofts so I'm offering my living room as a place for the 10 or so of us that
expressed interest in a face to face OFS huddle.  I propose a few items to
cover as we head into summer:

1.	Streets for All campaign summer activities

2.	Candidates for City Council

3.	Taking over Neighborhood Councils

4.	General policy wonkish ramblings and political gossip/slandering

Democratic Precinct Committee Officers (highly recommended by OFSer Brendan
Patrick)
Each PCO is elected to represent his or her precinct.  PCOs represent the
Democratic voters in their precincts. They are the grassroots organizing
base for all of our activities and personally communicate the Democratic
Party message to people in each neighborhood. PCOs also hold the
responsibility of electing the leadership of their local Democratic County
and Legislative District organizations, as well as representatives to the
state Democratic Party. They lead their Precinct Caucus every two years. In
partisan races (e.g., state house and senate races) they nominate candidates
and, if a mid-term vacancy occurs, appoint a replacement.   More info PCO
info and precinct maps at:
 <http://wa-demchairs.org/kcdems/pco/index.php>
http://wa-demchairs.org/kcdems/pco/index.php

Being a PCO is a great way for political and issue activists to get involved
at the party level, support the mayor and other favored officials, and
influence local policy and elections. Filing is free and online, but must be
completed by Friday afternoon.  Complete details and filing instructions are
at the King County Elections website:
https://info.kingcounty.gov/elections/candidatefiling/pco.aspx

Media Hit Squad
I usually am a big fan of Josh Feit's editorials in Publicola but this one
is obviously written to illicit a response and gauge commenters' perception
of Mayor McGinn's style so Publicola can tailor their next article to the
audience.  Well let's let him know McGinn has allies and they come from all
over this City.  I am sure you will all enjoy the witty musings of our own
Alex Bronner in the comment thread.  On point as usual.
http://www.publicola.net/2010/06/07/mcginn-needs-some-allies/

Hope to see many of your smiling faces Sunday!

Ryan

--
!Si se puede!