[nfbwatlk] Food for Thought

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Sat Jun 5 19:58:33 UTC 2010

Denise,
Your response covered the ground perfectly.
My Braille teacher could not read with her fingers at all, but she was
absolutely fluent in the Braille code. She deeply believed blind people
could read Braille faster with their fingers than she could read it with her
eyes, and she expected us to become fluent. She didn't just teach us the
Braille code, she taught us to read!
She was absolutely committed to the fundamentals, so much so that I would
get frustrated at her insistence that I demonstrate proficiency before being
allowed to move on. I could move as quickly as I understood and was
competent at the lesson she was teaching, there was no artificially holding
me back to do countless repetitions of skills I already had mastered. But
she expected us to read, and to read with speed, expression, and
comprehension.
If she told us a certain combination of signs and abbreviations was correct,
we could take it to the bank. She kept up with any changes in the code and
taught them to us immediately. I knew that she knew what she was doing. I do
not recall any time when I could not comprehend a Braille text because of
inaccurate teaching on her part.
So where do these teachers get off telling us that we shouldn't be concerned
about the Braille competency of teachers?
Our children attend French school. The school won't hire a teacher who isn't
fluent in the language. For one year they couldn't find a certified
counselor fluent in French. They hired an English speaking woman who knew
the French language somewhat. The kids tore her language usage apart!
Braille teachers think they can get away with being half skilled (or less)
because nobody knows enough to tear them apart. It's true that one of the
best ways to really learn something is to teach it, but I don't want the
literacy of blind children compromised by the incompetence of a teacher who
is just a few steps ahead of them.