[nfbwatlk] Fw: FDA clears first implantable telescope for vision

Lauren Merryfield lauren1 at catliness.com
Wed Jul 7 05:12:11 UTC 2010

Hi,
It sounds like there are too many risks for the implantable telescope and it
would probably be a lot better for people to learn blindness skills than to
go through the stress of candidacy and the risks of the implant.  A test
group of 200-some isn't really a very large sample for the research on this
implant.  I know people want to get their sight back, and if they can,
that's good, but sometimes it is better to just be a blind person and learn
to live with it.  So many older people lose some vision and assume their
life is over, when it doesn't have to be.  False hopes can be stressful.
Thanks
Lauren