[nfbwatlk] About scholarships and Programs

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Feb 9 05:33:41 UTC 2010

Humberto!

You should have received a message from Dan Frye. You should contact him as he knows attorneys dealing with immigration matters. For better or worse, I believe you'll probably have to get a "Green Card" or equivalent or perhaps a sponsor who can vouch that you'll be supported financially before you can get a Social Security card or be accepted for most rehabilitation services. This is not my area of expertise so I strongly urge that you contact Dan Frye and the attorneys he recommends as they can give you more intelligent advice than can I.

I'll contact Lou Oma Durand, Director of DSB, (the Department of Services for the Blind) on Wednesday
to see what DSB's rules for accepting those who ar not U.S. citizens are. Those of whom I know, however, had status as legal aliens in the U.S.

We'll work with you to see that you get training if at all possible.

Mike Freeman, President
NFB of Washington