[nfbwatlk] About scholarships and Programs

hmp humbertoa5369 at netzero.net
Fri Feb 5 18:49:36 CST 2010

To Whom It may Concern:
     I am a regular blind high school student and I am a senior. 
I attend Eisenhower High School in Yakima, WA. I want to get 
scholarships and also I would like to get services and attend 
transition programs that would help me be independent and a 
successful adult. Today I turn 19 years old, and I am planning to 
maybe graduate this year.
     However, I arrived to the U.S. four years ago and I am not a 
legal resident/immigrant. I currently live in the state of 
Washington and they say they cannot help me because I don't have 
a Social Security Number. I can't apply for any financial aid 
because of the same issue. In addition, just exactly two years 
ago I tried to attend a program that helps blind students with 
Orientation and Mobility (O&M), get independent and competent, 
and also get a job. This was the YES program or Bridge program 
(not sure which one exactly it is). This program was offered to 
me during the summer time. So, just when I was filling out the 
application I come across the "social Security" question, and 
this totally put a big huge gate in front of me and I can't open 
it so far. I mean, I totally missed the boat. It was a good 
opportunity. I would like to be able to do these things in my 
life and expand my horizons farther; open my wings to fly in 
     If there is any information regarding programs and services, 
scholarships to get higher education, and any type of aid I can 
get without a social security number, I would like to know. Any 
comments on this are welcome. And as I said, I am going to be 
successful in life and I'm not going to give up. I want to be a 
totally independent blind adult, live and work successfully, and 
get a career. Thanks.

More information about the nfbwatlk mailing list