[nfbwatlk] FW: Investing in High Speed Rail: Getting People and Goods Moving

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 4 02:02:25 UTC 2010

  _____

From: Patty Murray [mailto:webmaster at murray.senate.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:19 AM
To: Rosemary Struiksma
Subject: Investing in High Speed Rail: Getting People and Goods Moving

SUBSCRIBE  <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/38/0/> to Washington
View
UNSUBSCRIBE
<http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/1516/0/?c73c8e04=c2VuYXRvcl9tdX
JyYXk%3d&x=b278c275> from Washington View
 <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/171/0/> Senator Patty Murray's
Health Care Update
  <http://murray.senate.gov/images/mm_spacer.gif>
February 2, 2010
  <http:/murray.senate.gov/images/mm_spacer.gif>

subscribe <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/38/0/>
unsubscribe
<http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/1516/0/?c73c8e04=c2VuYXRvcl9tdX
JyYXk%3d&x=b278c275>
news <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/221/0/>
photos  <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/222/0/>
videos <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/223/0/>

High Speed Rail: A Major Investment in Getting People and Goods Moving in
Our State

On Thursday, I announced that Washington state will receive $590 million in
federal funding for high speed rail upgrades in the Pacific Northwest
Cascades corridor.  The funding is part of a major high-speed rail
initiative that, as Chairman of the Senate Transportation Appropriations
Subcommittee, I helped to include in the American Recovery and Reinvestment
Act (ARRA).  Since last year, when the Pacific Northwest was named one of
the 10 potential regions to receive funds for high speed rail, I have worked
with U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to build support for states
like ours where the groundwork for high speed rail lines has been underway
and where improvements would help provide an alternative to congested
roadways and spur economic activity.  -  Details
<http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/2594/0/>

 <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/2595/0/> "Washington to get
$590 million for high-speed rail improvements"
- Seattle Times

 <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/2596/0/> "Wash., Oregon to get
$590 M for high-speed rail" - Associated Press

State of the Union: Top Priority is Getting Our Economy Back on Track

On Wednesday, President Obama spoke directly to the American people about
creating jobs, getting our economy back on track, moving forward with health
insurance reform, holding big Wall Street accountable, and protecting our
nation. The President's first State of the Union speech came at a critical
time, with many across our state and nation anxious about the direction of
the economy and our country.

Read my  <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/2597/0/> reaction to
President Obama's speech.

Agriculture: Working for our State's Wheat Growers

Last Tuesday, I was honored to receive the Washington Association of Wheat
Growers'  <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/2598/0/> Washington
Association of Wheat Growers Awards Murray Legislator of the Year
"Legislator of the Year" award for my efforts to advance Washington's wheat
industry.  The Washington Association of Wheat Growers (WAWG), which
represents wheat farmers throughout our state, is a non-profit group
dedicated to the enrichment of the Washington wheat industry.  I will
continue to work to provide our agricultural community with the tools and
resources they need to succeed in this competitive global market.  -
Details <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/2599/0/>

A Qualified and Respected Judge Confirmed to Eastern Washington Bench

 <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/2405/0/> Last Monday, I
delivered a speech on the Senate floor urging my colleagues to support
Gonzaga Law Professor Rosanna Peterson to be the next District Court judge
for the Eastern District of Washington State.  In the speech, I praised
Peterson's work ethic, professionalism, and understanding of the law. After
the speech, the Senate voted unanimously to confirm Judge Peterson as the
first women to serve on Eastern District bench.  Peterson's nomination was
the product of the bipartisan selection commission I worked to help create
in our state.

Details <http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/2600/0/>    |   Listen
<http://aiss.enews.senate.gov/t/92433/817885/2601/0/>  to my speech

Peterson confirmed to federal bench