[nfbwatlk] Airline case, UK

Frederick Driver wt329 at victoria.tc.ca
Thu Dec 16 09:27:10 UTC 2010

Hi Ben,

I found that article at independent.co.uk.

Old news, but interesting.

I didn't notice any update to that particular case there.

But there's another case from 2008, evidently another discrimination case,
involving a group being ejected from one of their aircraft.  One member of
the group was blind.

So perhaps it counts as an update of sorts.

Rick

P.S.  It's no wonder the airline said it expects its annual profits to
drop by half.  If they keep kicking customers off their flights.  I wonder
if they've ever ejected a group in mid-air.

[article]

Steel band 'terrorists' win Ryanair case

By Cahal Milmo

The Independent

Wednesday, 6 February 2008

Ryanair has been ordered to pay nearly 5,000 to five black musicians,
   including a blind man, who were asked to leave a flight at gunpoint
   after another traveller wrongly expressed concern that they were
   terrorists.

The budget airline was criticised by a judge for its treatment of the
   members of Caribbean Steel International, a London-based steel band,
   after they were escorted off a Ryanair service from Sardinia to
   Stansted airport by armed police on New Year's Eve in 2006.

   District Judge Roger Southcombe said the airline also made claims that
   were "false and misleading" in a statement it made to the media about
   the incident.

   The ruling capped a bad day in the law courts for the Dublin-based
   company, which warned this week that it expects its annual profits to
   be halved. A court in Paris awarded damages of 45,000 to the French
   President Nicolas Sarkozy and his new wife, Carla Bruni, after the
   airline used a picture of the couple in an advertisement without their
   permission.

   Judge Southcombe ruled that the members of Caribbean Steel
   International were entitled to damages because of the "completely
   wrong" claims of the passenger and Ryanair's response to them.

The men arrived home two days' late after they were put on a flight to
   Liverpool and spent the night at the city's coach station because they
   missed a connecting bus to their homes in London. Jason Constantine, a
   member of the band, who have performed worldwide, said: "We were
   treated disgracefully and it is very important to us that the court
   has recognised that Ryanair's behaviour was wrong. There was ample
   time for the pilot to allow us to get back on the aircraft and return
   home as we had planned."

   The musicians, who had performed to critical acclaim at a festival on
   the Italian island, allegedly aroused the suspicion of another
   passenger on the aircraft after he noticed they were not sitting
   together. He claimed that Michael Toussaint, the blind band member,
   was able to read newspapers. It transpired that the men were not
   sitting together because several of them wanted window seats and had
   purchased priority boarding passes.

   After the concerned passenger, who said he was a university psychology
   lecturer, approached the pilot, Captain Sam Dunlop, with his concerns
   and threatened to take his family off the flight, the pilot asked for
the musicians to be removed so their identities could be checked.

   A flight attendant had also expressed concern about the men. The
   Mayor's and City of London Court heard that the band were "scared and
   embarrassed" when police took them off the plane at Sardinia's Alghero
   airport, not least because they were the only black people on the
   flight. When they requested to be allowed to return to the aircraft,
   the court was told, the request was turned down by Capt Dunlop, who
   said there had been "tension" on the plane because of the incident.

   Ryanair said it would appeal against the ruling and insisted it had
   taken the "safety first option" in asking for the men to be removed
   from the flight.

SOURCE:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/steel-band-terrorists-win-ryanair-case-778665.html