[nfbwatlk] FW: Councilmember Julia Patterson urges you to prepare for flooding this winter (http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/patterson/newsletters/enewsletters/09_September.html)

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 30 07:59:10 UTC 2009

  _____

From: Councilmember Julia Patterson [mailto:PattersonEnews at KingCounty.gov]
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 11:12 AM
To: lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Subject: Councilmember Julia Patterson urges you to prepare for flooding
this winter
(http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/patterson/newsletters/enewsletters/
09_September.html)

Image: Banner

September 2009

Dear Friend,

 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua2zaQn6rzY> video about flooding

Can you believe it's fall already? Soon we'll be busy raking leaves, carving
pumpkins, dusting off our winter coats, and baking seasonal goodies.

I want to encourage you to make some important upcoming events in King
County part of your autumn schedule, which I've listed below. I've also
included a video and information on the potential for flooding in South King
County, which is a must for people who live and work in the Green River
Valley.

Sincerely,
http://www.metrokc.gov/council/members/patterson/images/patterson-Sig.gif

Julia Patterson
King County Councilmember - District 5

  _____

Are you Ready?

 <http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/FloodPlan.aspx>
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/FloodPlan.aspx> flood logo
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/FloodPlan.aspx>

As you have most likely heard, the Green River Valley is in real danger of
flooding this year.

After record high rain last winter, it was discovered that water is seeping
more rapidly through an earthen bank next to the Howard Hanson Dam, which
controls the flow of the Green River. Until the US Army Corps of Engineers
can make repairs, they will limit the amount of water the dam will store.
The amount of water stored behind the dam must be limited in order to ensure
the entire structure does not fail.

Patterson at Howard Hanson dam

On September 23, I had the opportunity to visit the Howard Hanson Dam and
see the good work the US Army Corps of Engineers is doing to repair the
abutment.

The restricted storage means if heavy and prolonged rain occurs, flooding
could happen throughout the valley. Residents, businesses and farms below
the Howard Hanson Dam that don't typically see flooding -including parts of
Kent, Tukwila, Renton, and Auburn--could be inundated by several feet of
water.

King County is working in cooperation with cities, the Army Corps, our state
and federal partners, and private businesses to prepare the valley for
flooding. However, it is also important you take the necessary steps to
prepare yourself and your families for possible flooding. If you live or
work in the Green River Valley, I urge you to prepare now.

To learn how to prepare, visit www.kingcounty.gov/floodplans and watch the
video above where Governor Gregoire and I talk about steps you can take to
get ready.

  _____

UPCOMING EVENTS:

Town Hall on Public Transit

When: Wednesday, September 30th. The public is invited to meet with
Councilmembers at an informal reception starting at 6:00 p.m. The Town Hall
will begin at 6:30 p.m.
Where: Rainier Vista Boys and Girls Club, 4520 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
South, Seattle.

The next Town Hall <http://www.kingcounty.gov/council/townhall.aspx>
Meeting of the Metropolitan King County Council will focus on the impact
light rail will have on the regional transit system, and the fiscal
challenges facing Metro Transit, which is facing a deficit of $213 million
for 2010-2011.

Special Public Hearing on the King County Budget

When: Tuesday, October 13th at 7:00 p.m.
Where: Norm Maleng  <http://www.kingcounty.gov/About/locations/RJC.aspx>
Regional Justice Center, Courtroom 3F

The King County Council will take public testimony on the 2010 budget in
throughout the month of October. Please join me in Kent for this special
meeting.

Public Meetings on Flood Preparedness

When: Ongoing
Where: Throughout the Green River Valley

If you live or work in the Green River Valley, please consider attending an
upcoming public meeting on flood preparation. More information here
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/FloodPlan/Events.aspx> .

Countywide Community Forums

When: Ongoing
Where: Throughout King County!

Countywide Community Forums (CCF) is a King County civic engagement program
overseen by the King County Auditor. The program is independently funded,
run by volunteers, and is designed to bring the public forum right to your
kitchen table, neighborhood, or workplace.

Round 4 of the Countywide Community Forums begins in mid-September on the
topic of Public Safety: Law and Justice. Issues and topics for Round 4
include impact and cost of jail and incarceration, regional consolidation
vs. local control of law and justice services, prevention programs, drug
laws, and much more.

Visit here <http://www.CommunityForums.org>  for more information.

  _____

About my ENewsletter

Click here to
<mailto:pattersonenews at kingcounty.gov?subject=Unsubscribe%20District5>
remove yourself from my enewsletter list.

Click here to
<mailto:pattersonenews at kingcounty.gov?subject=Subscribe%20District5>
subscribe to my enewsletter.

If you have any questions or comments, please email me,
<mailto:julia.patterson at kingcounty.gov> julia.patterson at kingcounty.gov.

To review my recent e-newsletters,
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/Patterson/Newsletters.aspx> click here.