[nfbwatlk] JOB POSTING: School-Based Nutrition Educator
Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Thu Sep 24 17:06:34 UTC 2009
From: Kimball, Elizabeth [mailto:Elizabeth.Kimball at kingcounty.gov]
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:00 AM
Subject: JOB POSTING: School-Based Nutrition Educator
Please distribute widely.
Apply Here: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/kinghealth/default.cfm
SEATTLE NUTRITION ACTION CONSORTIUM
The Seattle Nutrition Action Consortium (SNAC) is a specialized
nutrition education program under the USDA Supplemental Nutrition
Assistance Program (SNAP-Ed). The Education Specialist will conduct
nutrition education classes for Seattle Public School students and
families. The Education Specialist will work within 2 Seattle Elementary
Schools to provide a series of hands-on and interactive nutrition and
cooking education lessons, including the preparation of tasty and
healthy recipes for grades K-8, in the classroom and school garden. In
addition, this position will work with school staff to develop,
implement and evaluate a school-wide nutrition education program,
including family nights, after school programs, assemblies, and
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
* Function independently with minimal on-site supervision in
organizing and teaching nutrition and cooking education classes and
events in school classrooms and gardens and other community locations.
* Teach nutrition education classes daily, including food
preparation and clean-up, to children and their families, both
individually and in groups, in classrooms and other educational
* Plan nutrition education lessons and recipes daily. Shop for
and transport groceries to each school at least once a week. Prepare
ingredients for multiple nutrition and cooking education classes daily.
* Help assess the needs of the school community and develop
nutrition education program and curriculum.
* Use and modify educational materials for culturally and
economically diverse audiences.
* Implement program evaluation.
* Document activities and contacts, gather data, prepare
reports, and attend meetings.
* Collect signatures from school staff to document matching
funds for federal reimbursement and submit to supervisor at the end of
* Work collaboratively with the SNAC team, school staff and
partner organizations, and one-on-one with an AmeriCorps member.
* Demonstrated knowledge of basic nutrition concepts.
* Ability to function independently with minimal on-site
supervision in organizing and teaching nutrition education classes
(including basic nutrition, food preparation skills, and food safety
skills) for children ages 5-14.
* Demonstrated experience teaching or working with children,
both individually and in groups.
* Demonstrated ability to manage a group of children in a
* Ability to communicate successfully with culturally and
economically diverse audiences.
* Demonstrated ability to collect and maintain detailed data
and records and write reports using MS Office suite and other
* Ability to assess needs; implement and evaluate the program
and adapt nutrition education lessons for culturally and economically
* Ability to work collaboratively with a team.
* Must be able to present to large groups and respond to
questions with ease.
* Ability to stand for at least 30 minutes in order to make
presentations to groups.
* Ability to push and pull a cart in order to purchase
groceries and transport supplies to and from presentation sites.
* Must be able to lift up to 10-15 pounds of demonstration
supplies on a frequent basis; must be able to lift approximately 30
pounds at least once a week.
* Ability to obtain valid Food Handlers Permit by time of hire.
* Ability to travel to multiple sites in a timely manner.
* Ability to work some evenings and weekends, as program needs
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
The John Muir PTAYahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:muir_pta-digest at yahoogroups.com
mailto:muir_pta-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
muir_pta-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
More information about the NFBWATlk