[nfbwatlk] Seattle Chapter Meeting

Kristina Lawrence tishgifts at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 05:33:09 UTC 2009

Hello All,

This is to remind you that we are having our monthly meeting of the
NFBW Seattle Chapter meeting. The meeting is happening this weekend,
Saturday September 19, 2009 from 10:00 - Noon. We meet at the Downtown
Seattle YMCA, 909 4th St, between Madison and Marion. Thank you to
Josie and Todd Armandtrout who are suppling the goodies for this
month.

This month you don't want to miss. Kay Burrows has collected a great
list of tips for emergency preparedness and other items for those
living in King County and around the Puget Sound area. We will discuss
the upcoming Fall Convention and the youth activities that will be
happening at the convention. We will also hear from Dr. Maurer via the
September presidential release.

Other items of interest will be planning the November meeting. Those
of you who were at our Assistive Tech meeting earlier this year were
able to see all the goodies that Mike Mello and Andrea Travis put
together. Well, we agreed at that point we would repeat this type of
meeting in November and make more people aware of the meeting. Be sure
to let us know what piece of equipment you want to show off at our
November meeting.

We will also talk about the Macy's Shop For A Cause. Earlier this
month, I thought that the Shop For A Cause was happening on the 20th
of September. Instead, it is happening on the 17th of October. We will
be handing out coupons for you to sell to your friend, families,
co-workers and neighbors. This voucher / coupon will allow them to
take advantage of great savings at the Shop For A Cause event in
October. Details will be given at the meeting.

We will also be talking about the Holiday Party. Some new ideas are
perkelating in my brain and Kay Burrows has agreed to be the
co-ordinator once again this year. We are also planning the Holiday
Party for the 12th of December as a surprise guest will be coming to
town and would like to make the party. Be at the meeting to be sure
and get the details and voice your opinion.

We are also looking for recipies for the Braille Monitor. Anyone
wishing to share his or her favorite recipe will need to email it to
myself or Mike Freeman before the end of the month.

Don't forget to sell those Braille coins! Time is running out to buy
the Louis Braille coin. On December 31, 2009, all unsold coins will be
melted down and you will no longer be able to purchase the first ever
American coin with true readable braille on it. We as a chapter and as
an affiliate need to get the word out to our friends, families,
co-workers, neighbors and the man and woman on the street. The sale of
these coins will help to ensure that blind children will learn
braille. Without braille, we are unable to enjoy much of life and are
functionally illiterate. So, sell those coins. We will fill you in on
the details of the Louis Braille Coin sale that our affiliate and our
national organization has to offer us.

Finally, don't forget that we will pull a name of a member of the
chapter and that person will win $5! I look forward to you all
attending this meeting.

Kris Colcock
President, NFBW Greater Seattle Chapter
206 854 3025