[nfbwatlk] Fw: [Nabs-presidents] Grant Opportunities for Youth andDivisions

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon Sep 7 01:40:47 UTC 2009

Mike,

I personally have too much going on to try and make this grant thing
work. However, I did feel it worth while to comment on your position
regarding cultural awareness in our affiliate.

When it comes to cultural awareness, the key is acceptance, not just
tolerance. For me, tolerance is that "live and let live" attitude.
Acceptance on the other hand, feels more welcoming and active. For me,
acceptance actively affirms differences and similarities between people
of all kinds, not just those from other cultures. A great example of
acceptance in our affiliate has been our active interest in young
people, especially since our discussion last spring. When I was asked
my opinion from a young person's perspective, I not only felt tolerated
as a young person, but really accepted as someone who has value and can
really contrubute to the greater welfare of the organization in a truly
unique way. inside of that acceptance, I felt that even though my
perspective was unique, it was also treated with the same value and
respect as perspectives offered by older members. I feel that we can
apply the same expressions toward people of different cultures.

The truth is that folks know when they're being truly loved, accepted,
and embraced by some society, and folks also know instinctively when
they're not. It's not always something that can be explained, pointed
to, or expressed. More often than not, it's just an intuitive or gut
feeling that we've all probably had at some point in our lives. I know
there have been times when I haven't felt accepted, loved, and embraced
by the affiliate. So to see those feelings change tells me that our
affiliate has the potential for continued growth in the acceptance
arena, and I think that will definitely make us truly available to all
kinds of cultures whether they be ethnically based, religiously based,
age based, or whatever based.

Respectfully,
Jedi