[nfbwatlk] Veterans' Day

Gloria Whipple fairyfoot at webband.com
Thu Nov 12 07:23:45 UTC 2009

What a wonderful man!

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Alco Canfield
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:08 PM
To: NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [nfbwatlk] Veterans' Day

Thank you for sending this, Jedi.

There was a really good program tonight on Channel Nine called The Way We
Get By or How We Get By.  Anyway, these elderly veterans and their relatives
go to the airport and welcome veterans home who land at Bangor, Maine before
proceeding on.  They go out at all hours of the night and day.

Eighty-three-yearuold Bill has outlived his family and friends, has had to
downsize because he can't manage the farm physically or moneetarily, and has
to put down the dog he has had for fifteen years, Mr. Flanagan.

What keeps this man going is greeting returning veterans.  He said in the
film that his life doesn't mean much to him, that he has outlived his
usefulness, but that as long as his life means something to someone, he has
a purpose to live.  Oh, and did I add, he is dying of cancer?

You can probably watch it at pbs_org/pov.

Wonderful, sad, beautiful, thought-provoking show!

Alco