[nfbwatlk] Kansas NFB Convention to be Streamed Live

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Thu Nov 5 10:26:23 UTC 2009

2009 National Federation of the Blind of Kansas

State Convention Broadcast

       This first-ever broadcast of our annual State Convention is
dedicated to the memory of Dean Stanzel a long-time member of the NFB
of Kansas and the husband of Susie Stanzel.

Dean was a dedicated Federationist who believed that, whenever
possible, blind people should take charge of whatever needed to be
done. Many of you will remember him from the registration line at our
annual convention. Dean would great you by saying, "I am Dean
Stanzel. How may I help you?" Then he would take your money, give you
your banquet ticket and pass your information down to Susie to be
placed in your badge jacket. This was the Stanzel's convention
tradition for about 25 years. He envisioned a means by which   to
take the federation's message of hope to blind individuals, their
families and blindness professionals in Kansas and beyond.

       In 2002 construction of the National Federation of the Blind
of Kansas Web Site began. "With assistance from Michael Hanson of
Nebraska The two designed and constructed the National Federation of
the Blind of Kansas Web Site. Dean assumed full responsibility for
its upkeep after initial construction was finished in 2005.

             At about this same time several State NFB Affiliates
began broadcasting their annual state conventions. Dean's next dream
was to take the proceedings of the NFB of Kansas State Convention to
the World via the Internet. He was diagnosed with cancer in 2006. As
his health gradually failed he was unable to keep up the affiliate's
Web site. Dean passed away on June 21st 2007 his dream of
broadcasting the affiliate's annual state convention unrealized.
However, this flame would not be quenched with his passing.

             History is full of examples of individuals who when
faced with adversity and the possibility of never realizing their
dreams in their life time called on relatives, friends, and others to
carry on the work they began to see it to completion. Dean's wife
Susie, along with members of our Kansas Affiliate sought someone that
would rise to the occasion to make Dean's dream a reality. Peter
Donahue of Texas answered the call and rose to the occasion. He is
well-known for creating dynamic NFB Affiliate Web Sites and other
information resources on the Internet. Thanks to his dedication to
the movement and belief in the ability to reach large audiences via
the Internet the National Federation of the Blind of Kansas is
pleased to announce its first-ever broadcast of its annual state convention.

       The following convention sessions will be broadcast on
November 7, and8, and 2009 from Salina Kansas:
Saturday November 7:
9:00-12:00 a.m. Saturday Morning Session;
1:00-5:00 p.m. Saturday Afternoon Session;
7:00-9:00 p.m. Annual Banquet.
9:00-11:00 p.m. Talent Show;

Sunday November 8:
7:00-8:45 a.m. Open worship Service
9:00-12:00 p.m. Sunday Morning Business session.

       The broadcast will also feature special presentations
describing the work of the NFB and how it is changing what it means
to be blind when the convention is not in session.

       To hear the broadcast go to:
<http://www.nfbks.org/>http://www.nfbks.org

and select the "Listen" link on the home page. If due to technical
issues beyond our control or if you are unable to listen to the live
broadcast archives will be posted shortly after the convention. Visit
our home page for information concerning their availability and
broadcast status.

We will take questions and phone calls time permitting. Send all
questions and comments to:

<mailto:convention2009 at nfbks.org>convention2009 at nfbks.org

                 To reach us by phone call: (210) 445-6378. Do not
call the hotel should you experience technical issues with the
broadcast. The above phone number is a direct line to individuals who
will address these concerns.

             This broadcast is made possible by Station Playlist of
Tauranga New Zealand. StationPlaylist Creator + Studio integrate to
provide a very affordable and powerful radio broadcasting software
solution for terrestrial radio and internet streaming / webcasting.
Also suitable for party DJ's and in-store music automation. These
applications are very accessible with screen reading systems and are
used by many blind individuals World-wide. For further information visit:

<http://www.stationplaylist.com/>http://www.stationplaylist.com