[nfbwatlk] National Federation of the Blind Announces 2010 Scholarship Program

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Wed Nov 4 03:09:20 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Announces 2010 Scholarship Program

Thirty Scholarships Available to College and Postgraduate Students

Baltimore, Maryland (November 3, 2009):  The National Federation of
the Blind, the oldest and largest organization of blind people in the
United States, announced today that applications are now being
accepted for the 2010 National Federation of the Blind Scholarship
Program.  Thirty scholarships totaling $100,000 will be awarded to
blind students from the United States and Puerto Rico.  The
scholarships are available to blind students who will be enrolled in
college or a graduate program beginning in the fall of 2010,
including incoming freshmen.  Scholarships range in value from $3,000
to $12,000.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "The National Federation of the Blind Scholarship Program is
the Federation's way of recognizing outstanding academic achievement
by blind students and spreading our positive philosophy of blindness
to these students and to the general public.  Because of the
collective efforts of blind Americans, blind people today are
achieving greater academic success and entering fields of study once
thought closed to the blind, and celebrating their achievements is
always a highlight of our national convention.  I join the
Scholarship Committee in inviting every eligible blind student to
submit an application, and I look forward to meeting the dynamic
individuals that will make up the 2010 National Federation of the
Blind scholarship class."

Information on the NFB scholarship program is posted online at
<http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>www.nfb.org/scholarships.  The
deadline for applications is March 31, 2010.

Questions may be directed to the NFB Scholarship Committee Chairman,
Mr. Anil Lewis, by e-mail at
<mailto:Scholarships at nfb.org>Scholarships at nfb.org, or by phone at
(410) 659 -9314, extension 2415.