[nfbwatlk] NFB President Marc Maurer to Receive Award from University of Notre Dame

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Wed Nov 4 02:34:07 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

NFB President Marc Maurer to Receive Award
from University of Notre Dame

Award Honors Maurer's Outstanding Contributions in Public Service

Notre Dame, Indiana (November 2, 2009): The National Federation of
the Blind (NFB), the largest organization of blind people in the
United States, today announced that its president, Dr. Marc Maurer,
will be presented the Rev. John J. Cavanaugh, C.S.C., Award from the
University of Notre Dame Alumni Association in a ceremony on November
5.  Maurer, a 1974 graduate from the University of Notre Dame, will
be honored for outstanding contributions in the field of public service.

Maurer earned his law degree from Indiana University in 1977 and
began focusing on representing blind individuals in the courts.  A
member of the Bar in Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Maryland, and the Bar of
the Supreme Court, Maurer is one of the most experienced lawyers in
the field of civil rights and discrimination against the blind.

Maurer has been president of the National Federation of the Blind
since 1986.  In that capacity, he has joined President George W. Bush
in the Oval Office in 2001 to celebrate the organization's Everest
Expedition, and was present for Bush's signing into law the Help
America Vote Act of 2002.  He has promoted new technology for the
blind, including the knfbReader Mobile, a revolutionary cell phone
application that scans and reads aloud most printed material, and the
prototype vehicle for the Blind Driver Challenge.  He has overseen
the visionary expansion of the NFB Jernigan Institute, the first
training and research institute for the blind, led by the blind.  He
has also previously served as president of the North
America/Caribbean Region of the World Blind Union.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "I am honored to receive this award from my alma mater.  As
president of the largest organization of blind people in the United
States, I have been fortunate to play a role in many exciting and
life-changing developments for blind people in America.  While we
have made much progress, there is still more to be done.  Only 10
percent of blind children are learning Braille in this country, and
this directly contributes to a 70 percent unemployment rate among
blind people in the United States.  I humbly accept this award on
behalf of blind Americans and pledge to work harder than ever to
ensure that the blind are not left behind in today's society."

"In his role as president of the National Federation of the Blind,
Marc Maurer continually demonstrates unwavering determination in his
effort to better the lives of the world's blind through innovative
technologies and services that support their independence," said
Charles F. Lennon Jr., executive director of the Notre Dame Alumni
Association and associate vice president for University
Relations.  "The Notre Dame Alumni Association is pleased to honor
Marc for his personal character and outstanding contributions in
public service.  He is a living example of the integrity and
generosity of spirit that Notre Dame instills in its graduates.  His
leadership of the NFB has made the University proud."

For more information about the National Federation of the Blind,
please visit <http://www.nfb.org/>www.nfb.org.

###