[nfbwatlk] Fw: Follow Up with National Federation for the Blind

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Tue May 26 20:43:43 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Dong" <Jonathan.Dong at Seattle.Gov>
To: <jacob.struiksma at gmail.com>
Cc: "Bill Bryant" <Bill.Bryant at Seattle.Gov>; "Diana Holloway"
<Diana.Holloway at Seattle.Gov>
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 12:01 PM
Subject: Follow Up with National Federation for the Blind

Jacob -

Thank you for inviting me to attend the meeting with the National Federation
of the Blind on Saturday, April 18, 2009.  I appreciated the opportunity to
speak to this group regarding the Seattle Transit Priority Corridor
Improvements.

At the meeting there was a question raised on the design of the curb ramps
and how they will accommodate persons who are blind.
Our TPCI curb ramps will be built to our City standards, with the detectable
warning strip. Behind this strip, called the ramp area, the concrete will be
scored with a mesh pattern. Behind the ramp area, we'll have a landing area.
The "lip" at the area where the ramp transitions to the roadways is
customarily required to be flush.

The group also had several questions regarding the design of the bus
shelters.  Please contact Paul Roybal, Metro RapidRide Project Manager at
(206) 684-1599 to obtain more information on the bus shelter designs.

Thanks again for your interest in the transit improvements.  If you have any
further questions or comments, please contact me at (206) 233-8564.

Jonathan Dong, AICP
Senior Transportation Planner
Seattle Department of Transportation