[nfbwatlk] Article About Blind Architect

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Tue May 5 13:30:58 UTC 2009

Dan and All:

I have a feeling that most of the archetects won't be so discerning.
after all, many of them wouldn't know how to lead their lives if they
were blind. Many of the sighted people I meet judge my abilities based
on what they would do if they were blinded the moment they met me.
naturally, their ideas are frightening and gloomy. Luckily , I am able
to help them understand their misconceptions and provide them with
correct and helpful information. If our archetect friend doesn't have
that information, then I would honestly say that our sighted archetects
will definitely have any lowered expectations reinforced.

As to Youth slam, there's a part of me that's also worried about who
our mentors are. In 2007, I sat with a young man and a mentor. Both of
these men had quite a bit of residual vision. The young man was asking
his mentor about how he ought to navigate the world with his low vision
and whether or not he should carry a cane. His mentor said that, if his
vision were good enough (and I expect "good enough" means somewhere on
the more visual end of the blindness spectrum), then he need not use a
cane unless he wants to. In this mentor's view, a cane is only
necessary for a legally blind person to identify oneself as visually
impaired and perhaps to explain unusual behaviors such as getting close
to objects or people, standing in the wrong place, touching things, etc.

at the same time, I see Youth Slam as a wonderful opportunity to mentor
this archetect. Someone at the National center (and I can't remember
who) told me that the art of planning a convention or an event should
include influencial people in the blindness field who can learn from
us. I was told that the best way to draw these people in is to have
them share their work with us in a meaningful way. There is no doubt
that spending time with 200 blind high school students, 100 members of
the NFB, and extra staff will be an incredible opportunity for this
guy. It wouldn't surprise me a great deal if he receives our message
since it appears he's attempting to be proactive about his blindness.
It sounds to me like the basic buildin blocks of a positive attitude
are there, they just need to be kindled with positive philosophy and
reinforcement.

Dan, please let us know if our archetect friend will be joining us in
Maryland. I would be curious to know.

Respectfully,
Jedi