[nfbwatlk] Statement of the NFBW regarding the Residential Program of the OTC

Kristina Lawrence tishgifts at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 05:01:59 UTC 2009

Hello Listers,

As promised, I am posting the statement that was read at the State
Rehabilitation Council Meeting on Saturday morning.

Statement Regarding the position of the NFBW and the Department of
Services for the Blind’s OTC Residential Program

The National Federation of the Blind of Washington insists that the
Department of Services for the Blind actively pursue all options
available to retain the Orientation and Training Center’s Residential
Program.  The residential program, which is the heart of the
Orientation and Training Center, offers a training environment that
enables students to put into practice the skills that they acquire in
class in a living situation that compels their independent exercise of
responsibility. The residential program allows for networking,
building of friendships and group problem solving which is not
available through an “at home” program. The more relaxed and informal
setting of “in home” training, is not as successful because skills
that are learned require a change in behavior for the blind individual
and their family. If the residential program ends, we as an
organization believe that it will lead to higher unemployment rates
among the blind, fewer blind individuals becoming independent and able
to live independent lives, the gradual chipping away at the
Orientation and Training Center’s day programs and the eventual
disappearance of the Department of Services for the Blind as a
separate agency. The residential program is a large part of why the
Department of Services for the Blind is separate from the Vocational
Rehabilitation Program. The unique alternative skills needed to live
as a successful blind individual can most effectively be learned and
practiced in an immersion program like the residential component of
the Orientation and Training Center. We also believe that it will be a
great disservice to the blind and visually impaired citizens of
Washington state to close the residential component of the Orientation
and Training Center. While we will still advocate for those desirous
of attending the out of state National Federation of the Blind
centers, not every potential Orientation and Training Center student
is able to go out of state. We feel that by relying on other states to
serve those who were able to travel out of state, clients who have
familial or parental obligations, will be left woefully unserved. We,
as an organization understand during these tough economic times
extremely difficult decisions will have to be made.  We as an
organization expect the Department of Services for the Blind to
explore all options open to the agency to maintain and improve the
residential program, including but not limited to the Vocational
Rehabilitation windfall that President Obama is sending to every
state. We trust and believe that the Department of Services for the
Blind will not abandon Washington State’s blind and visually impaired
residents who desire an independent and successful life. We implore
the State Rehabilitation Council to work with the Department of
Services for the Blind to find solutions for funding of the
residential program and to advise the Department to do everything
within it’s power to keep this vital program alive so that future
Washingtonians who become blind or visually impaired may have the same
chance at a successful and independent life.

Take care,
Kris Colcock Lawrence
1st VP, NFBW