[nfbwatlk] Financial Assistance to Attend NFB National Convention in Detroit

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Mar 5 01:49:42 UTC 2009

Greetings, Fellow Federationists!

As everyone reading this list doubtless is aware, the 2009 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will be held July 3-8 at the Detroit Marriott Renaissance Center. I urge all who plan to go to the convention (and everyone who possibly can afford it should go; there's nothing else like it!) to preregister; convention registration is again $15 per person and banquet tickets are $35 per person making a total cost of $50. Prices are higher if one registers at the convention. Registration is now available on-line; go to NFB's website, http://www.nfb.org, and click on the registration link.

In the past, the NFB of Washington has offered financial assistance to attend the convention to those who requested it. We will do so again this year although the amount of assistance will be limited due to the financial situation we find ourselves in. We're holding our own but do not have a great amount of unencumbered money to play with.

I am appointing a committee to consider requests for convention assistance; the committee will make recommendations to me since our affiliate constitution requires me to approve of and order all affiliate expenditures. Barring extraordinary circumstances, I pledge to carry out the recommendations of this committee.

The committee will consist of Doug Johnson, Treasurer of the NFB of Washington, Gary Mackenstadt, Assistant Treasurer of the NFB of Washington and Kaye Kipp of the Clark County chapter of the NFB of Washington. You may call or email any of these individuals to request assistance to attend the convention. You may reach Gary during the day by calling (206) 220-7943 and you may reach him by email at gary.mackenstadt at ed.gov. You may reach Doug by telephone after noon at (360) 871-3731 and by email at dougmj1 at wavecable.com. You may reach Kaye by telephone at (360) 571-0129 and by email at kkipp123 at msn.com.

TO BE CONSIDERED, REQUESTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY APRIL 20. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE. Those whose requests are granted will be notified by the end of May.

I also urge those needing assistance to consider applying for a Jernigan scholarship. Information on how to do this is in the March, 2009 edition of the "Braille Monitor". These scholarships are primarily intended for first-time convention attendees but if funds are available, other applicants may receive help.

Good luck and I hope to see everyone in Detroit!

Michael Freeman, President
National Federation of the Blind of Washington