[nfbwatlk] Possible Closure of the DSB OTC Residency Program

Kristina Lawrence tishgifts at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 17:19:26 UTC 2009

Hello,

While I was aware of the ideas and proposals set forth by DSB
regarding the OTC, I was following the lead of Mike Freeman and
keeping things on a quiet note so that we could see what would happen
as things progressed. I have not kept up with the list lately due to
being involved heavily with Kaitlynn and her Girl Scout Cookie sales.
So, I am now catching up with the list and I would like to say one or
two things.

The purpose of having a blindness specific agency is so that the needs
of the blind and newly blinded and those dealing with low vision and
vision loss can be met. These needs are unique and specific. With the
proper training we, the blind, lead "normal" lives. This is not a
shocking statement to anyone on the list.

The purpose of the OTC as I understand things, is to provide that
training to individuals who are in need of training. Whether this is
because they are getting out on their own for the first time or
whether they have just had a change in the vision, they have
identified themselves as needing this training. As stated above, the
training is specific and unique to blindness and the techniques used
are incorporated into daily life. Because this is changing a way of
doing things and changing behaviors, the most effective and successful
way to change and learn is to be in a setting where the person is
totally immersed in learning 24/7. When a person stays at home, those
living with them need to understand the necessity for these changes.
This is at best, difficult if not impossible. How often have we
returned home for a visit after being on our own for years and years
and old routines and habits just feel so comfortable to slide back
into. Mom or dad doing for you because it is just easier. It is hard
enough for the OTC students to maintain their new skills when they go
home for two weeks at a time. Or at least that is what I have been
told by those who are going home to parents or families. So, how
successful do you think it would be to have "in home" training? IMHO
this is a recipe for an even higher rate of unemployment among the
blind.

As for the claim that the NFB would embrace the closing of the center,
that is just foolishness. The entire philosophy behind the NFB is that
we need proper training, learning how to adapt and be successful and
lead independant lives. For someone to think that we would want an
opportunity for an individual to receive this training to go away
shows a total lack of understanding of the NFB and it's founding
philosophy.

Due to a prior commitment, I personally will be unable to attend the
meeting on Saturday. However, Jedi seems to be getting a group
together and I know that the Seattle Chapter will have a strong
showing at the meeting. We as an organization do not wish to see the
OTC close. I personally do not wish to see the OTC close. I know that
with small children in my home, I cannot take the time to go out of
state to receive training and I know that I am not alone. To have no
residential training available in the state of Washington would be a
true diservice for the blind of the state. We will not let this happen
and we will be there to defend the need for the center.

Kris Colcock Lawrence
President, NFBW Greater Seattle Chapter
1st VP, NFBW