[nfbwatlk] Fw: Change in voters pamphlet

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Jun 23 03:42:07 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joleen Ferguson" <cjferg at charter.net>
To: "'Randy Tedrow'" <rbtedrow at comcast.net>; <wcb-l at wcbinfo.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Wcb-l] Change in voters pamphlet

There have been many questions about the letter from the Secretary of
State
on this list, so I have copied the entire text of the letter as I
received
it in Braille.  I hope this helps.  I am thinking that those who do not
currently receive accessible formats may also call and request to begin
receiving one.

Joleen

Quoting from the letter:

Washington Secretary of State
Sam Reed

Elections Division
520 Union Avenue
PO Box 40229
Olympia, WA 98504-0229
Tel: 360-902-4180
Fax: 360-664-6419
www.secstate.wa.gov/elections

June 16, 2009

Dear Voter:

For years, the Office of the Secretary of State has provided the State
Voters' Pamphlet in accessible formats.  As a subscriber to this
service,
you have received copies of the State Voters' Pamphlet in formats such
as
Braille, audio, or large print.  In order to provide the most useful
accessible formats to our subscribers, the Elections Division is
reevaluating the formats we provide and we would appreciate your help.
The
following is a list of six accessible formats.  Please identify your
first
and second preferences.

I would like to receive Braille online at www.vote.wa.gov.  There is no
need
to send me anything.

I would like to listen to MP3s online at www.vote.wa.gov.  There is no
need
to send me anything.

I would like to use a screen reader to read a text-only document online
at
www.vote.wa.gov.  There is no need to send me anything.

I would like to be mailed the traditional Braille.

I would like to be mailed an audio recording on compact disc (CD).

I would like to be mailed a large print version.

Once you have identified your first and second preferences, please call
the
Washington State Elections Division at (800) 448-4881.  Tell the
receptionist your name and which two formats you most prefer, in order
of
preference.  Please call before June 25, 2009.

If you do not respond to this request by calling the Elections office,
you
will be removed from the list of accessible format subscribers.
Nonsubscribers receive the printed pamphlet sent to all other households
in
Washington State.

Again, your input about which formats you prefer will help us to provide
the
most useful accessible formats to our subscribers.  Thank you for taking
the
time to help us provide better service.

Regards,

The Voters' Pamphlet Team