[nfbwatlk] Fw: "Friends of Seattle" sent you a message on Facebook...

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 05:22:00 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Facebook" <notification+mk_3mhdm at facebookmail.com>
To: "Jacob Struiksma" <jacobstruiksma at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:22 PM
Subject: "Friends of Seattle" sent you a message on Facebook...

Gary Manca sent a message to the members of Friends of Seattle.

--------------------
Subject: Endorsements: Mayor - Mike McGinn; City Council - Jessie Israel
(Pos. 6), Mike O'Brien (Pos. 8); YES

Dear Friends of Seattle Members and Supporters:

We endorse YES for the Green Bag Fee; Mike McGinn for Mayor; Jessie Israel
(Pos. 6) and Mike O'Brien (Pos. 8) for City Council

Our complete 2009 Voters Guide (Primary Election Edition), which includes a
detailed analysis of each candidate, a description of the endorsements
process and evaluation criteria, candidate questionnaires and interview
videos, is available at
http://www.facebook.com/l/;www.friendsofseattle.org/2009-voters-guide-primary-election.

A brief summary is below:

ENDORSED CANDIDATES:

MICHAEL MCGINN

* Michael McGinn is a courageous voice of change---the candidate we need to
get the politics we deserve instead of the politics we have.
* Mr. McGinn's vision is a Seattle that lives up to its environmental
ideals, invests in the needs of neighborhoods across the city, and strikes a
fairer balance between biking, walking, transit, and driving.
* That is why Mr. McGinn opposes the $4.2 billion tunnel to replace the
Viaduct, a plan which he correctly describes as a missed opportunity to
invest in alternative transportation. Further, Mr. McGinn wants the city to
partner with Metro to improve local bus service, and as we saw in last
winter's snowstorm, the way the City manages its streets greatly impacts the
County's ability to provide bus service.
* His civic experience was important to us, because while we are excited
about the possibility of change at City Hall, we wanted someone who
understands the issues, has experience working with Seattle's diverse
community groups, and has a track record of success in community
involvement.

Read more at
http://www.facebook.com/l/;www.friendsofseattle.org/2009-voters-guide-primary-election/mayor-seattle/michael-mcginn

JESSIE ISRAEL

* Ms. Israel is a dynamic candidate of change whom we are excited to
endorse. Other than the incumbents, she was the most knowledgeable and
well-prepared candidate we interviewed.
* We were impressed by Ms. Israel's ideas-all of them specific, concrete,
and innovative-for securing funding toward transit oriented development,
sidewalks and affordable, walkable communities.

Read more at
http://www.facebook.com/l/;www.friendsofseattle.org/2009-voters-guide-primary-election/seattle-city-council-pos-6/jessie-israel

MIKE O'BRIEN

* Mr. O'Brien will be a visionary leader on City Council---someone who is
politically courageous and well-equipped to deal with the practicalities of
budgeting and policymaking. His interview with us was outstanding.
* He convincingly argues that the mobility structure needed for the 2020s
and 2030s and beyond does not include a multibillion tunnel that will divert
resources from other more important transportation, housing, and educational
investments.

Read more at
http://www.facebook.com/l/;www.friendsofseattle.org/2009-voters-guide-primary-election/seattle-city-council-pos-8/mike-obrien

CRITERIA AND PROCESS:

Read more at
http://www.facebook.com/l/;www.friendsofseattle.org/2009-voters-guide-primary-election/overview-endorsements-process

We are very proud of our process, which view as the most transparent and
information-rich process of any endorsing organization. And we believe our
analysis of the candidates is second to none, offering voters a clear
assessment of the candidates' strengths and weaknesses.

This election cycle, the challenges facing the city are great, and there is
a need for change. We have therefore been very stingy with our endorsements,
granting them only when there is a clear choice whom we can support without
reservations. Our evaluation criteria were as follows:

    * We sought candidates with enough past successes to indicate they would
be capable elected representatives.
    * We sought candidates who supported:
          o more mass transit
          o better infrastructure for biking and walking
          o vibrant parks and more open space
          o robust affordable housing policies
          o zoning for more density downtown, in urban villages, and in
areas served by transit
          o opposition to the $4.2 billion tunnel to replacement of the
Alaskan Way Viaduct and support for a surface/transit solution, and
          o other policies necessary for supporting urban life in harmony
with the natural environment.
    * Above all, we looked for candidates who showed the courage necessary
to meet the daunting challenges that Seattle is facing.

To reply to this message, follow the link below:
http://www.facebook.com/n/?inbox/readmessage.php&t=1104141484625&mid=dac8e5G2e652e5bG257e8dfG0

___
This message was intended for jacobstruiksma at gmail.com Want to control which
emails you receive from Facebook? Go to:
http://www.facebook.com/editaccount.php?notifications&md=bXNnO2Zyb209NTAyMjAxMTM5O3Q9MTEwNDE0MTQ4NDYyNTt0bz03NzgzODI5Mzk=&mid=dac8e5G2e652e5bG257e8dfG0
Facebook's offices are located at 1601 S. California Ave., Palo Alto, CA
94304