[nfbwatlk] FW: [District1] Councilmember Bob Ferguson's E-News - January 2009 (http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/news/09_JanEnews.htm)

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 01:52:57 UTC 2009

  _____

From: Bob Ferguson [mailto:District1Enews at KingCounty.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:23 PM
To: Jacob Struiksma
Subject: [District1] Councilmember Bob Ferguson's E-News - January 2009
(http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/news/09_JanEnews.htm)

 ENews Banner
<http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/images/0208enews/enews-hea
derDraft.jpg>
Dear Neighbor:

Councilmember Bob Ferguson on the Web: www.kingcounty.gov/ferguson
Bob's E-News
January 2009
Edition 47
In this issue:
         Metro's December Storm Response
         King  <> County and Department of Justice Reach Settlement
         February Special Election  <> Information
         Historic Preservation Legislation and Receipt of  <> Historic
Preservation Award
         In  <> Memory of Jack Crawford and Elmer Lowell Haynes
My wife Colleen and I just returned from President Obama's inauguration,
which was tremendously exciting. I am writing an article about my experience
for the North Seattle Herald and will link to it in my next e-news.
Closer to home, the start of a new year brings a new
<http://www.enterprisenewspapers.com/article/20090121/ETP03/701219915&templa
te=ETPZoneSHLart> organizational structure for the King County Council. I
was chosen by my colleagues to serve as the Council's vice chair for policy
and chair of the Committee of the Whole (COW). COW considers legislation and
policy issues of interest to the entire Council and is the only committee on
which all nine councilmembers serve. By setting the COW agenda, I have the
opportunity to address complex regional issues that impact you.
In addition to chairing COW, I will serve on the Budget and Fiscal
Management, Regional Policy, and Law, Justice, Health, and Human Services
committees.
I will continue to focus on fiscal responsibility and good government
initiatives for King County, while prioritizing public safety, public
health, transportation, and human services. My committee assignments will
allow me to work on these priorities throughout 2009.
Hearing from constituents helps me to better advocate on your behalf. As we
start a new year, I encourage you to contact me if you have any questions or
ideas.
Regards,

http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/images/0208enews/bobsig.gif
Bob Ferguson
King County Councilmember, District 1
  _____

Metro's Storm Response

 Bus in snow
<http://146.129.29.3/netpub/server.np?thumbnail=16015&site=search&catalog=ca
talog&aspect&width=256> I heard from many of you regarding the lack of Metro
bus service during the December
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/394057_metro30.html> snow event and
the reduced bus service hours during the week of New Year's. As a bus
commuter on the 41 from Northgate, I empathize with the impact the storms
and resulting service problems had on commuting schedules.
The Council's Committee of the Whole recently held a briefing
<http://king.granicus.com/ASX.php?publish_id=77&sn=king.granicus.com>
(requires free version of Windows
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/default.aspx> Media Player)
on Metro's snow response. The Department of Transportation and Metro
provided a preliminary report and answered questions. In February, Metro
will provide a final report on its response to the storm and the
corresponding service reduction.
I look forward to reviewing this report and having another opportunity to
have a public conversation about how we can improve our performance. As the
Council works with Metro officials to guarantee the best possible service
during challenging circumstances, I will keep your comments in mind,
particularly the need for better communication with riders when reduced
schedules go into effect.
On a final note, I want to express my appreciation to the Metro bus
operators, maintenance and facility personnel, and customer service
employees for their hard work during the difficult snow conditions.
  _____

King County and Department of Justice Reach Settlement

The Council recently authorized the Executive to enter into a settlement
agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) regarding conditions at
the King County Correctional Facility. The agreement is the result of
settlement negotiations between DOJ and King County representatives, which
began after the county received a letter from DOJ in 2007 alleging that
certain conditions at the facility violated the constitutional rights of
inmates.
The settlement agreement identifies practices and requirements that the
county will undertake in the King County Correctional Facility to achieve
compliance in the areas of protecting inmates from harm, suicide prevention,
medical care, and environmental health. The Council also approved funding of
$2 million to immediately implement improvements. My colleagues and I will
continue to closely monitor and oversee the conditions at the facility.
Recent news articles:
King  <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/343605_jailed.html> County: A
higher standard - Seattle PI
Council
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/council/news/2009/January/BF_LP_doj.aspx>
authorizes settlement of federal complaint over inmate conditions at King
County Jail - King County Council press release
King
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008593980_jail06m.html>
County reaches deal with feds on improving jail - Seattle Times
  _____

 Image: Vote in the Special Election Feb. 3, King County Director of
Elections <http://www.kingcounty.gov/~/media/kctv/images/2009/vvg0209.ashx>
February Special Election Information

Please remember to vote in the February 3 special election which will be
conducted entirely by mail. King County voters will have the opportunity to
vote for their first elected Director of Elections. You can learn more about
the special election by visiting King County Elections
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx>  and by watching the online Video
Voters Guide <http://www.kingcounty.gov/KCTV/VVG.aspx> . Beginning January
27, a Chinese-language  <http://www.kingcounty.gov/elections/chinese.aspx>
version will also be available online.
  _____

 Old Entrance to King County Courthouse.
<http://your.kingcounty.gov/mkcc/members/ferguson/images/0907enews/entrance_
old.jpg>

Photo of the south entrance to the King County Courthouse before 1967.

Historic Preservation Legislation and Receipt of Historic Preservation Award

In recognition of my work <http://www.kingcounty.gov/Ferguson.aspx#historic>
to protect Washington's cultural heritage, I was presented with the
Washington Trust for Historic  <http://www.wa-trust.org/> Preservation's
2008 Landmark Deeds Award for Public Service. Historic buildings, such as
our King County Courthouse, embody our collective history and influence our
community identity.
My interest in historic preservation comes from my late father, Murray
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003554554_fergusonobit03m.
html> Ferguson, who was active with the Queen Anne Historical Society. I am
honored to be recognized and will continue to make historic preservation one
of my priorities.
One of my long-term historic preservation goals is restoring the south
entrance to the King County Courthouse. An interesting article
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/273154_courthouse08.html>  on the
history and restoration of the King County Courthouse can be read in the
Seattle PI.
  _____

In Memory of Jack Crawford and Elmer Lowell Haynes

I was saddened to hear about the passing of former Kenmore Mayor Jack
Crawford and former Bothell Councilmember Elmer Lowell Haynes. Both Mayor
Crawford and Councilmember Haynes were active, respected members of their
communities, and my sympathies go out to their families and friends. I had
the honor of attending Mayor Crawford's memorial service at the Bothell
United Methodist Church, which was filled to capacity. You can read about
Mayor Crawford and Councilmember Haynes here: Jack
<http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/north_king/bkn/news/37118349.html> Crawford,
Kenmore's first mayor dies at age 80; Bothell
<http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/north_king/bkn/community/37118544.html>
breakfast-club leader dies at age 85.
  _____

About my E-Newsletter
Councilmember Bob Ferguson on the Web: www.kingcounty.gov/ferguson
I hope you enjoy my updates! Please review my recent e-newsletters
<http://www.kingcounty.gov/Ferguson/Newsletters.aspx> .
yourself from my e-newsletter list, send an email to
fergusonenews at kingcounty.gov
"Unsubscribe" in the subject line.
e-newsletter, send an email to fergusonenews at kingcounty.gov
<mailto:fergusonenews at kingcounty.gov?subject=Subscribe>  and copy
"Subscribe" in the subject line.
If you have any questions or comments, please email me at
bob.ferguson at kingcounty.gov.
  _____

Phone: (206) 296-1001 | Fax: (206) 296-0198 | TTY/TDD: (206) 296-1024 | Toll
Free: (800) 325-6165
Mailing Address: King County Courthouse, 516 Third Avenue, Room 1200,
Seattle, WA 98104-3272