[nfbwatlk] Interesting Idea

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Jan 18 23:19:12 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "JMassay" <jmassay1 at cox.net>
To: <chapter-presidents at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:53 AM
Subject: [Chapter-presidents] Recruitment with Free Cane

Hello to all:

We talked briefly about an idea at the Membership Seminar that worked
well
for our Central Oklahoma Chapter.  We are a new chapter and are actively
trying to contact and meet new members.  Something that worked and that
we
will be doing again was to circulate a flyer offering a FREE white cane
those attending the next meeting.  We did this in conjunction with our
December Meeting / Christmas party.  We sent the flyer via e-mail and
through snail mail.  I also distributed them to Visual Services.  We had
5
new people attend our meeting and three of them were blind.  All three
requested white canes.  I am hopeful that they will all continue to
participate.  The next time we do this , I will request for Visual
Services
to send this to all consumers.  We also have an opportunity for some
free
advertising.  We will try to incorporate the free cane message into that
as
well.  Our flyer stated boldly "The gift of Freedom and Independence
from
the National Federation of the Blind." Attend a meeting and receive a
Free
white cane!

If you have questions, let me know.  E-mail me at jmassay1 at cox.net.

Good  luck to everyone in your recruiting efforts.

Jeannie Massay

Central Oklahoma Chapter