[nfbwatlk] Obituary for Dick Edlund

Thu Jan 8 14:50:48 UTC 2009

John and Mary Thompson shared this with me from the "Kansas City Star".
Interesting life, and great guy.

Bennett Prows

Richard J. "Dick" Edlund Sr.

Richard J. "Dick" Edlund, Sr. made his transition on Jan. 6, 2009 at the
age of 84. Dick was born in Kansas City, KS, and lived in the area all
his life.

Dick and his father owned and operated Edlund's Hardware in Muncie (now
Kansas City, KS). He was Commissioner at Large for the old Kaw Council
(now Heart

of America) of the Boy Scouts of America, owned and operated a small
airport west of Kansas City, and owned several airplanes. Blind since
his teen years,

he sought dignity, mobility, and equal pay for blind people everywhere.
He served on the board of directors, as Treasurer, and as a
troubleshooter and

union organizer for the National Federation of the Blind. He was
past-president of the National Federation of the Blind of Kansas. Dick
was a Mason and

member of Delaware Lodge No. 96, Kansas City, KS. Dick served several
terms as a legislator in the Kansas House of Representatives 33rd
District. After

retirement, he traveled to the UK, France, Belgium, Portugal, and
Argentina. Dick was ready to go anywhere, any time on a moment's notice.
Dick is survived

by his companion Pompilia Mahoney, son Richard John Edlund, Jr. (Barb
Lisher), grand children Alisha and Shannon Griswold, and three stepsons,
Jack, Jim,

and Mike Miller. He was predeceased by his father Earl Edwin Edlund,
mother Mary DeKeyser Edlund, first wife Doris Grayce Stempges O'Diorne,
and second

wife, Eileen Miller Edlund. Celebration of Life service will be 1:00
p.m. FEB 21, 2009 at Unity Church of Overland Park, 10300 Antioch,
Overland Park,

KS (reception following). No flowers, please. Donate instead in Dick's
memory to K.C. Hospice House or the National Federation of the Blind.
Send pictures

and stories to EdlundRJ at gmail.com. In his own words, "I've had a pretty
good run". Or, as Winston Churchill said, "I am ready to meet my Maker.
Whether

my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter."