[nfbwatlk] Duane Smith

Freeman,Mike - TOSD-DITT-2 jmfreeman at bpa.gov
Thu Dec 10 23:45:01 UTC 2009

Greetings, everyone.

I have good news! Duane Smith had his surgery a couple of days ago; he had *six* arteries replaced. Apparently he is in considerable pain (they have to break the breast bone to get at the heart) and is quite weak. However, he is beginning to cut back on the pain meds and hospital personnel are working on getting him up. I gather today that he had some broth and ate a popsicle and everything stayed down.

Carol says he's in good spirits. The one thing he asked her to do when she left the hospital was to purchase another Louis Braille coin.

Duane will be in the hospital for another week or so. Get-well cards should be sent to his home. Gary Mackenstadt says that Denise will put his address on the list in that neither he nor I had it. If Denise gets overly-busy and forgets, her cell number is (206) 419-9555!

Bravo for Duane! There isn't a better Christmas present than a chance at good health! All of us wish him well!

Michael Freeman, President
National Federation of the Blind of Washington