[nfbwatlk] Fw: Worried about Transit Cuts? Contact Your Legislator to Support SB 5433 to Protect Transit

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 21 20:12:09 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Shefali Ranganathan
To: jacobstruiksma at gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:49 AM
Subject: Worried about Transit Cuts? Contact Your Legislator to Support SB 5433 to Protect Transit

      ACTION ALERT: Your Legislator Can Help Protect Transit from Dire Service Cuts!  Act Now and Urge Support for New Funding Options for Transit

      Do you ride transit?  Are you worried about possible service cuts? Here's your chance to do something about it. Right now your legislator is deciding whether to support SB 5433, a local funding options bill that will give transit agencies additional revenue options to help maintain current service. In most cases, these revenue options will require approval from voters.

      Click to email your legislator today and tell them to support SB 5433, including the Simpson amendment, that will provide funding options for your transit agency.

      You can also call your legislators at the Legislative HOTLINE at 1-800-562-6000 (8:00 AM - 8:00 PM) and urge your legislator to support SB 5433 as passed by the House.

      Transit agencies across the state are experiencing record increases in ridership and drastic revenue shortfalls.  As citizens tighten their budgets and chose to skip congested roadways, the demand for transit service continues to grow.  At the same time sales tax revenues, the primary source of operating dollars for transit agencies, are plummeting across the state. As a result, transit agencies are facing service cuts instead of increases!  So how bad is the situation?  Consider this - King County Metro is facing a projected $100 million budget gap, Kitsap Transit is already considering service cuts this year and Pierce Transit is looking at dramatic service cuts in 2012.

      SB 5433 is a local funding solutions bill that our communities desperately need.  SB 5433 will:

        a..  Allow King County Metro to use revenues from the already established Ferry District tax to fill nearly $30 million of their projected $100 million budget gap.  This will help them stave off deep service cuts at a time when ridership is at an all time high.
        b.. Give local governments the authority to establish a congestion reduction tax. This tax will then be placed on the ballot for voter consideration to allow transit agencies to collect a fixed $20 vehicle license fee to maintain service.  This will provide much needed relief to cash-strapped agencies and help them serve increasing transit demand.
      Click to email your legislator today and tell them to support SB 5433, including the Simpson amendment, that will provide funding options for your transit agency.

      You can also call your legislators at the Legislative HOTLINE at 1-800-562-6000 (8:00 AM - 8:00 PM) and urge your legislator to support SB 5433 as passed by the House.

      Thanks for taking action!

      Cheers!
      Shefali Ranganathan
      Director of Education and Outreach
      Transportation Choices Coalition
      811 1st Avenue, Suite 626
      Seattle, WA 98104
      Phone: 206.329.2336
      Fax: 206.329.2705
      www.transportationchoices.org

      Are you getting emails for events in Seattle when you live in Spokane? We may not have your correct address and phone number on file! If you have moved or just aren't sure if we have your current contact information, please email shefali at transportationchoices.org. We strive to provide you with only the most pertinent information - from your city, your county, and your legislative district - so please let us know if you're getting emails from another area!

      We respect the personal nature of email communication. Every effort is made to offer only information on pressing transportation issues and involvement opportunities. If you prefer not to receive emails from Transportation Choices Coalition, please click here to unsubscribe. If you do not currently get our email Action Alerts, please subscribe on our website www.transportationchoices.org.