[nfbwatlk] my opinion only

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sat Apr 18 19:07:01 UTC 2009

Hi all.

I had a similar response. There was a lot of jargain that meant little
in terms of practical application to those of us who are consumers.
Reading what I could, it sounds to me like we're having better luck
with the OTC and that, for the most part, rehabilitation won't be
compromised. It sounds to me like Child and family and Older Blind
staff will be a little pinched seems how the programs are being
effectively combined. On one hand, the older blind will probably get
better service, especially if the OTC becomes available to them. On the
other, will child and family programs suffer? Will the staff be spread
out too thin? What does it mean to increase Rehab teaching services in
the field? does that mean that we'll have quality providers? Perhaps
what we need is a document that's written for consumers, not staff.
What we need is a document that will clearly lay out what DSB is doing
in a clear fashion that makes sense to consumers. Is such a document a
possibility? I'd also like to see some responses from the Rehab
Council, particularly from the representative of consumer groups. I
assume members of the Council have received some of these e-mails? What
are their opinions and concerns?

I do have to agree with Mike Mello. This list is for the sharing and
discussion of important issues affecting the blind of Washington. Rehab
matters are important, and this list is a fantastic way for us to hear
what our fellow members have to say on the issues at hand, especially
since regularly frequent  meetins of state officers and the like are
unrealistic. I include myself when I say that we should respond to
messages written by rehab staff even if messages include questions like
"I need clarification" or "What was that about?" surely, that's a lot
better than silence because it communicates that we need more
information whereas silence conveys either apathy or absolutely
nothing. Naturally, this is just my opinion. Come to think on it, we on
this list idn't actually hear of possible OTC closures alerting us to
the budget issues of DSB until Lisa Owen posted a forwarded message
from the WCB list and expressed deep anger and concern. Again, just my
opinions and observations.