[nfbwatlk] The ecane

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Nov 21 02:55:02 UTC 2008

It strikes me that what the below message really amounts to is an attempt to generate sensational publicity that will result in an infusion of cash as (the author hopes) people, corporations, foundations and government fall all over themselves to open "new worlds" to the unfortunate blind who, in most instances, can simply ask for directions. Even for the deaf-blind, nothing is said as to whether any of this technology is anywhere near real-world production, especially at an affordable price! A patent is a helluva long way from a workable device.

Diabetics see this sort of reprehensible publicity wherein every few days, some miraculous breakthrough in curing or ameliorating the ill-effects of diabetes is touted in the press. When one looks closely, the miracles are mundane at best, seldom have much to do with practical diabetes care and often leave crucial information out. In fact, such publicity is designed more to raise money or boost the egos of scientists or corporations than to do anything useful.

I suspect the below magnum opus is of like ilk.

Mike Freeman