[nfbwatlk] Cell phone recommendations

Alco Canfield amcanfield at comcast.net
Tue Nov 18 00:17:53 UTC 2008

Hi, Mary Ellen,

You can use Verizon Wireless smart phones and PDAS with Mobile Speak.  I had an LG 9900 and I could use it without Mobile Speak.  It has a qerty keyboard for texting, but you can also use it closed with the regular numbers which are raised up for easy finding.  I could add contacts, set my ring tones, and check battery status.  However, I could not use the Tip Calculater and I could not set the alarm.  I was also unable to use VZ Navigator, Verizon's program forGPS.

SENDERO Group in California has some kind of GPS you can use with a phone. (530) 757-6800 or, (888) 757-6810.

I had to go back to using my LG 9800 because the other phone has a battery problem and my former phone works fine.  However, it does not give me the status of my battery.  The phone I described above can also read you your missed calls which is quite handy, though I haven't found a way to delete them.

When my present phone dies, I may make a foray into the confusing world of accessible  cell phones, but right now I just use mine to call out and take messages.

You can look up Mobile Speak with Google, but Sendero can also tell you a lot.

Hope this helps.  I am sure there are people out there far more technological than I who can fuffther assist you.

Alco Canfield