[Nfbnet-members-list] Congenitally blind adults needed for paid research study during NFB national convention

Blake, Lou Ann LBlake at nfb.org
Thu Jun 16 19:12:17 UTC 2022

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our research mission.

The Neuroplasticity and Development Lab from Johns Hopkins University invites participants for research studies at the 2022 NFB convention. The research studies examine how blindness and visual experience shape language understanding. There are multiple studies. Some involve Braille reading and others spoken language comprehension. Some of the studies aim to understand how blind and sighted people think about each other's perceptual experiences of vision, touch and hearing.

Participation in our studies involves listening to sentences, listening to tones, reading Braille and answering questions. The studies last 1 to 2 hours each. Participants will be compensated $20 per hour for their time.

To qualify for the studies, participants must be congenitally and totally blind and between the ages of 18-50, with no cognitive or neurological disabilities. Prior to scheduling a study appointment, potential participants are invited to complete a pre-screening interview over the phone to check if they qualify. The screening interview takes between 15 to 30 minutes. Those who take part in the interview will receive a $15 Amazon gift certificate. To find out if you qualify for the studies and to sign up for a prescreening appointment, please contact us by either calling (410) 870 9895 or emailing plasticity_lab at jhu.edu<mailto:plasticity_lab at jhu.edu>.

Thank you for reading our announcement and we look forward to seeing you at the NFB convention.

Marina Bedny, Ph.D.
Director of Neuroplasticity & Development Lab
Associate Professor
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Johns Hopkins University
http://pbs.jhu.edu/research/bedny/index.html

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.
Director of Research Programs, Blindness Initiatives
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
410-659-9314, extension 2221 | lblake at nfb.org<mailto:lblake at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Disclaimer