[Nfbnet-members-list] Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act Introduced in the House

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Tue Apr 6 21:45:18 UTC 2021

 		 [1]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND APPLAUDS THE INTRODUCTION OF THE
TRANSFORMATION TO COMPETITIVE INTEGRATED EMPLOYMENT ACT IN THE HOUSE

BALTIMORE, MARYLAND (APRIL 6, 2021): The National Federation of the Blind,
the transformative advocacy organization of blind Americans, applauds the
introduction of the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act
(H.R. 2373) in the United States House of Representatives by Education and
Labor Committee Chair Bobby Scott (D-VA-3) and Representative Cathy
McMorris Rodgers (R-WA-5). This legislation gradually eliminates the
payment of subminimum wages to people with disabilities over a four-year
period and prohibits the issuance of new special wage certificates under
Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. The legislation also
incentivizes employers to transition away from a segregated workplace model
for people with disabilities and toward competitive integrated employment.

"It is long past time for Congress to phase out the subminimum wage for
workers with disabilities and expand access to fulfilling employment and
economic self-sufficiency," said Chairman Scott. "By fostering
collaboration between employers and services providers, this bipartisan
legislation makes clear that it is not only possible, but beneficial to
invest in fully integrated and competitive jobs for people with
disabilities. We must take this next step to ensure that every worker can
succeed in the workplace and earn a fair wage."

"Disability employment is the next policy frontier to empower people with
disabilities to live full and independent lives," said Ranking Member
Rodgers. "A job is so much more than just a paycheck, it's what gives us
dignity, purpose, and the opportunity for a better life. I look forward to
continuing to work in a bipartisan fashion to ensure more people - who are
ready, willing, and able to work - find employment."

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"The National Federation of the Blind and our partners representing the 55
million Americans with disabilities seek only the kind of meaningful,
remunerative work that other Americans take for granted. We applaud
Chairman Scott for rejecting over eighty years of entrenched but false
thinking about the capacity of people with disabilities. We strongly urge
his colleagues in both chambers of the United States Congress to transition
from an ineffective employment model to a policy that recognizes the
individuality, interests, and skills of workers with disabilities and
allows them to live the lives they want."

###

ABOUT THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore,
defends the rights of blind people of all ages and provides information and
support to families with blind children, older Americans who are losing
vision, and more. Founded in 1940, the NFB is the premier membership and
advocacy organization of blind Americans with affiliates, chapters, and
divisions in the fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. We believe
in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to transform them
into reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at nfb.org
[2].

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen
 Director of Public Relations
 National Federation of the Blind
 (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
 (410) 262-1281 (Cell)
 cdanielsen at nfb.org

 		 [3]
 		 [4]
 		 [5]
 		 [6]

 		 [7]

 		 National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD
21230 | 410-659-9314

 		 Unsubscribe [8] | Opt Out [9] | Sign Up for Our E-newsletter [10]

 		 200 East Wells St.
Baltimore, 21230
United States
..