[Nfbnet-members-list] Zoom Events from the NFB of Pennsylvania between May 11 and May 15

Joseph Drenth joe.drenth at gmail.com
Sat May 9 23:00:58 UTC 2020

Here are the Zoom events that will occur between Monday, May 11, and Friday,
May 15, hosted by the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania. All
are welcome to join, even if you live outside Pennsylvania. These events are
for everyone. Details for how to connect appear after the list of events.
Please note that all times are in Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).

JAWS Training with Joe - Monday, May 11,  from noon to 12:45PM EDT.

Please join us as we explore the capabilities and usability of the
industry-leading JAWS screen reading application. We will be working with
the Microsoft Office Suite of applications.

Relaxation Hour with Lily - Monday, May 11,from 1PM to 2PM EDT.

We will be Learning and doing yoga exercises, breathing techniques, and
meditations. It will be a time for everyone to let go of their stress and
frustration. The immune system is proven to work more optimally under Little
to no  stress. I have learned many of these techniques during my college
years studying integrative health care.

Coffee with Emily - Monday, May 11,from 2PM to 3PM EDT.

We will discuss legislative issues facing blind Americans, laws affecting
the education of your blind children, and our Braille Enrichment for
Literacy and Learning (BELL) programs scheduled for this summer. Parents,
teachers of blind students, and anyone interested in the topics of
legislation, parenting, and education are encouraged to join us. Please note
that this event is informative and does not represent any form of legal
advice. To contact Emily, email her at:  <mailto:vp2 at nfbp.org> vp2 at nfbp.org

Reading Roundtable with Marsha - Monday, May 11, from 5PM to 6PM EDT.

Pull a chair up to the table and share with us about your favorite books and
reading media. Have you discovered any new favorites recently at home while
practicing social distancing? Let's talk about them.

Kernel Book Discussions with Justin - Tuesday, May 12, from 5PM to 6PM, EDT.

Join us as we discuss the Kernel Book story "The Play Date" by Mary Ellen
Gabias, which appears in Beyond the Funny Tree. Here are links to the story
in both text and audio formats:

Text:
<https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/books/k
ernel1/kernbk29/kernbk29.htm#7>
https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/books/ke
rnel1/kernbk29/kernbk29.htm#7

Audio:
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/kernel_books/kern29/10-the-play-date.mp3>
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/kernel_books/kern29/10-the-play-date.mp3

trivia Tuesday with Juliette - Tuesday, May 12, From 6 pm to 8 pm, EDT.

You won't want to miss this fun and exciting version of Jeopardy, with our
own real contestants and Juliette Warren as Alex. Play along at home, or
just listen and laugh.

Fitness and Wellness Warriors with Lily and Caitlin - Wednesday, May 13,
from 1PM to 2PM EDT.

Due to all of us being stuck at home during this difficult time, it is
important to boost our immune system and make sure that we are still getting
some exercise. We will be doing brief workouts and stretching exercises.

Coffee with Emily - Wednesday, May 13,from 2PM to 3PM EDT.

We will discuss legislative issues facing blind Americans, laws affecting
the education of your blind children, and our Braille Enrichment for
Literacy and Learning (BELL) programs scheduled for this summer. Parents,
teachers of blind students, and anyone interested in the topics of
legislation, parenting, and education are encouraged to join us. Please note
that this event is informative and does not represent any form of legal
advice. To contact Emily, email her at:  <mailto:vp2 at nfbp.org> vp2 at nfbp.org

Getting the Most out of Your Amazon Echo Smart Speaker with Mark -
Wednesday, May 13, from 3PM to 4PM EDT.

Share your experience with the Amazon Echo. Do you have a favorite Alexa
skill you would like to share with others? Get the news, schedule a ride, or
control your home. Join us to learn how Alexa can do more for you.

iPhones, iPads, Voice Over, Oh My! with Marsha - Wednesday, May 13, from 5PM
to 6PM EDT.

Now that our world is geared toward smart devices as the everyday norm, how
can we use iOS devices as blind individuals? That is exactly what this
session is for: We will learn how to navigate the iPhone using Voice Over as
a beginner. and we will explore some of the most commonly used built-in
apps, like text messaging, apple mail, the calendar, facetime, contacts,
notes, the App store, wi-fi, Bluetooth, Safari, Siri, and the health apps.
Hosted by Marsha Drenth, Social Worker and Certified iOS device instructor.

Navigating the Rehabilitation System with Lynn and special guest Janet
LaBreck, Rehabilitation Services, US Department of Education - Wednesday,
May 13, from 6:30PM to 8PM EDT.

What is the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, and what does it mean
for me? Bring your questions about vocational rehabilitation and learn how
recent laws are changing the VR landscape.

Kernel Book Discussions with Justin - Thursday, May 14, from 5PM to 6PM EDT.

Join us as we discuss the Kernel Book story "Ice Cream, Peanuts, Popcorn,
and Worms" by Kevan Worley, which appears in Beyond the Funny Tree. Here are
links to the story in both text and audio formats:

Text:
<https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/books/k
ernel1/kernbk29/kernbk29.htm#8>
https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/books/ke
rnel1/kernbk29/kernbk29.htm#8

Audio:
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/kernel_books/kern29/11-ice-cream-peanuts-p
opcorn-and-worms.mp3>
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/kernel_books/kern29/11-ice-cream-peanuts-po
pcorn-and-worms.mp3

Apps, Apps, Apps with Marsha - Thursday, May 14, from 6:30PM to 8PM EDT.

If you have an iPhone but would like to know more about specific apps, how
to get them, how to download them, what they are for, and how to use them;
This presentation is for you. Marsha will present on one app at a time. If
you have suggestions for apps you would like to see featured please email:
<mailto:marsha.drenth at gmail.com> marsha.drenth at gmail.com

Cochlear Implants Discussion with Chris - Thursday, May 14, from 8PM to 9PM,
EDT.

Are you struggling with your hearing using traditional hearing aids? Have
you been told to consider a cochlear implant but are scared of what the
implications might be? Would you like to become more informed about one
option for hearing impaired individuals? If you answered yes to any of these
questions, come join me this Thursday at 8 pm. I have had cochlear implant
surgery and have lived to tell the tale!! I will discuss my experiences and
answer questions.

JAWS Training with Joe - Friday, May 15,  from noon to 12:45PM EDT.

Please join us as we explore the capabilities and usability of the
industry-leading JAWS screen reading application. We will be working with
the Microsoft Office Suite of applications.

Fitness and Wellness Warriors with Lily and Caitlin - Friday, May 15, from
1PM to 2PM EDT.

Due to all of us being stuck at home during this difficult time, it is
important to boost our immune system and make sure that we are still getting
some exercise. We will be doing brief workouts and stretching exercises.

Kids' Story Hour  with Harriet - Friday, May 15, from 3PM to 4PM EDT.

Keep your braille skills sharp by reading along with Harriet as she reads
favorite stories for kids in braille. If you want to take your turn reading
in braille to the group, you can do that, too. Otherwise, follow along in
your own book or on your braille display.

Here is how to participate in these events:

No registration is necessary, and everyone is invited to join. Simply use
one of the following methods to connect with us on the Zoom platform when
the events are scheduled to begin.

1. From within the free Zoom Cloud Meetings app on your iPhone or Android,
just hit the "Join" button on the "Meet and Chat" tab and then enter our
meeting ID: 215 988 0888.

2. Click the following link, which will open the meeting using the app or
your web browser:

 <https://zoom.us/my/nfbpennsylvania> https://zoom.us/my/nfbpennsylvania

3. On a mobile phone, click either of the  following "One Tap" links, based
on which one is nearest to your location:

+13126266799,,2159880888# (Chicago)

+16468769923,,2159880888# (New York)

4. Using a standard telephone, dial 646-876-9923,

and then enter our meeting ID when prompted: 215 988 0888.

Joseph Drenth

First Vice-President, National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania State Board of Vocational Rehabilitation

Senior R&D Software Engineer, JBT Corporation, Automated Systems Division

Cell: 215-827-7787

Email:  <mailto:vp at nfbp.org> vp at nfbp.org