[Nfbnet-members-list] Coming up Thursday: Crafting DIY Tactile Graphics with Lauren Race

Chancey Fleet chanceyfleet at nypl.org
Tue Aug 4 16:45:38 UTC 2020

DIY Tactile Graphics at Home, with Lauren Race
Thursday August 6, 7:00 - 8:30 PM Eastern
These days, most of us no longer have easy access to graphics embossers or
swell-paper machines. However, we don't always need them in order to make
tactile graphics. In fact, there's a long history of DIY tactile graphic
design—with students, designers, and teachers using collaging techniques to
make one-of-a-kind designs. In this workshop, we will cover the history,
basics, and best practices of Do-It-Yourself (DIY) tactile graphics. We'll
use materials found in our homes to make our own works of art. Please come
to the Zoom meeting prepared with a stylus or pencil, some paper, and a
Sensational Blackboard or wooden cutting board. If you want to really bring
the party, grab some scissors, glue, tactile junk from around the house
(get creative!), puffy paint, or hot glue. It's going to get messy and fun!
Lauren, a longtime volunteer with NYPL's Dimensions Project for creating
community access to tactile graphics and 3d models, is a fellow with the
NYU Ability Project. She created TactileSchematics.com, a full set of
tactile circuit diagrams for physical computing, and recently
co-facilitated NYC's first Blind Soldering Intensive at NYU's Interactive
Telecommunications Program. Anyone is welcome! Our remote tech and culture
programs are an evolution of the in -person and hybrid workshops hosted at
the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library. Whether you're blind,
sighted, or somewhere in between, in New York City or on the other side of
the world, we welcome you for fellowship, learning and dialog.
Please register at
tinyurl.com/HeiskellRegister
so we know how many people to expect.
To join our technology and Braille team's event announcement list, just
email heiskelltech+subscribe at googlegroups.com - we'll let you know about
all the other remote programming we offer.
  To learn more about us or suggest a workshop, or to volunteer your time,
contact our tech coordinator: chanceyfleet at nypl.org
To support open discussion and patron privacy,  our workshops are never
recorded.