[Nfbnet-members-list] This Week's Zoom Events from Pennsylvania

Joseph Drenth joe.drenth at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 21:56:18 UTC 2020

Here are the Zoom events that will occur between Monday, April 27, and
Friday, May 1, hosted by members of the National Federation of the Blind of
Pennsylvania. All are welcome to join, even if you live outside
Pennsylvania. These events are for everyone. Details for how to connect
appear after the list of events. Please note that all times are in Eastern
Daylight Time (EDT).

Beginner JAWS Training with Joe - Monday, April 27,  from noon to 12:45PM
EDT.

Please join us as we explore the capabilities and usability of the
industry-leading JAWS screen reading application. Mondays will be devoted to
beginner-level JAWS skills.

Coffee with Emily - Monday, April 27,from 2PM to 3PM EDT.

We will discuss legislative issues facing blind Americans, laws affecting
the education of your blind children, and our Braille Enrichment for
Literacy and Learning (BELL) programs scheduled for this summer. Parents,
teachers of blind students, and anyone interested in the topics of
legislation, parenting, and education are encouraged to join us. Please note
that this event is informative and does not represent any form of legal
advice. To contact Emily, email her at:  <mailto:vp2 at nfbp.org> vp2 at nfbp.org

Reading Roundtable with Marsha - Monday, April 27, from 5PM to 6PM EDT.

Pull a chair up to the table and share with us about your favorite books and
reading media. Have you discovered any new favorites recently at home while
practicing social distancing? Let's talk about them.

Pittsburgh Round Up with Emily - Monday, April 27,from 7PM to 8PM EDT.

If you live in or near the Pittsburgh area of Pennsylvania, please join us.

Kids' Story Hour  with Harriet - Tuesday, April 28, from 3PM to 4PM, EDT.

Keep your braille skills sharp by reading along with Harriet as she reads
favorite stories for kids in braille. If you want to take your turn reading
in braille to the group, you can do that, too. Otherwise, follow along in
your own book or on your braille display.

Kernel Book Discussions with Justin - Tuesday, April 28, from 5PM to 6PM,
EDT.

Join us as we listen to the Kernel Book story "Windows, Mathematics, and the
Kentucky Derby" by former NFB president Marc Maurer and then discuss it.
Here are links to the text of this story and the audio of it being read
aloud:

Text:
<https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/books/k
ernel1/kernbk29/kernbk29.htm#1>
https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/books/ke
rnel1/kernbk29/kernbk29.htm#1

Audio:
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/kernel_books/kern29/04-windows-mathematics
-and-the-kentucky-derby.mp3>
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/kernel_books/kern29/04-windows-mathematics-
and-the-kentucky-derby.mp3

Women Survivors with Gloria - Wednesday, April 29,  from 10:30AM to 11:30AM
EDT.

Let's come together and discuss the effects that social distancing is having
on each of us during this coronavirus.

Intermediate JAWS Training with Joe - Wednesday, April 29,  from noon to
12:45PM EDT.

Please join us as we explore the capabilities and usability of the
industry-leading JAWS screen reading application. Wednesdays are devoted to
intermediate-level JAWS features and functions.

Fitness and Wellness Warriors with Lily and Caitlin - Wednesday, April 29,
from 1PM to 2PM EDT.

Due to all of us being stuck at home during this difficult time, it is
important to boost our immune system and make sure that we are still getting
some exercise. During this fitness and wellness session we will be talking
about ways of how to boost the immune system, and about how to take care of
our mental and emotional health. We will be doing brief workouts,
meditations, and yoga over Zoom.  I have learned a lot of these techniques
during my college years of taking integrative health care courses.

Coffee with Emily and special guest Greg Lazur from PaTTAN - Wednesday,
April 29,from 2PM to 3PM EDT.

Special guest Greg Lazur, Educational Consultant from PaTTAN, will be with
us to explain  who PaTTAN is, what its role should be, how they can help
with the education of your child, and more.

Getting the Most out of Your Amazon Echo Smart Speaker with Mark -
Wednesday, April 29, from 3PM to 4PM EDT.

Share your experience with the Amazon Echo. Do you have a favorite Alexa
skill you would like to share with others? Get the news, schedule a ride, or
control your home. Join us to learn how Alexa can do more for you.

iPhones, iPads, Smart Phones, Oh My! with Marsha - Wednesday, April 29, from
5PM to 6PM EDT.

Now that our world is geared toward smart phones as the everyday norm, how
can we use these devices as blind individuals? That is exactly what this
session is for: We will learn how to navigate the iPhone using Voice Over as
a beginner. and we will explore some of the most commonly used already
built-in apps, like text messaging, apple mail, the calendar, facetime,
contacts, notes, the App store, wi-fi, Bluetooth, Safari, Siri, and the
health apps. Hosted by Marsha Drenth, Social Worker and Certified iOS device
instructor.

*** FEATURED EVENT ***

Navigating the Rehabilitation System with Lynn and special guest Pamela
Allen, Executive director of the Louisiana Center for the Blind and 1st Vice
President of the National Federation of the Blind - Wednesday, April 29,
from 6:30PM to 8PM EDT.

Pam will share information about Center based training, how it works, why it
works, and how you can become an active participant

Kernel Book Discussions with Justin - Thursday, April 30, from 5PM to 6PM
EDT.

Join us as we listen to "The Root and I" by Peter Mikochik and then discuss
it. Here are links to the text of this story and to the audio of it being
read aloud:

Text:
<https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/books/k
ernel1/kernbk29/kernbk29.htm#3>
https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/books/ke
rnel1/kernbk29/kernbk29.htm#3

Audio:
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/kernel_books/kern29/06-the-root-and-i.mp3>
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/kernel_books/kern29/06-the-root-and-i.mp3

Apps, Apps, Apps with Marsha - Thursday, April 30, from 7PM to 8PM EDT.

If you have an iPhone but would like to know more about specific apps, how
to get them, how to download them, what they are for, and how to use them;
This presentation is for you. Marsha will present on one app at a time. If
you have suggestions for apps you would like to see featured please email:
<mailto:marsha.drenth at gmail.com> marsha.drenth at gmail.com

Advanced JAWS Training with Joe - Friday, May 1,  from noon to 12:45PM EDT.

Please join us as we explore the capabilities and usability of the
industry-leading JAWS screen reading application. Fridays are devoted to
advanced JAWS skills.

Fitness and Wellness Warriors with Lily and Caitlin - Friday, May 1, from
1PM to 2PM EDT.

Due to all of us being stuck at home during this difficult time, it is
important to boost our immune system and make sure that we are still getting
some exercise. During this fitness and wellness session we will be talking
about ways of how to boost the immune system, and about how to take care of
our mental and emotional health. We will be doing brief workouts,
meditations, and yoga over Zoom.  I have learned a lot of these techniques
during my college years of taking integrative health care courses.

Kids' Story Hour  with Harriet - Friday, May 1, from 3PM to 4PM EDT.

Keep your braille skills sharp by reading along with Harriet as she reads
favorite stories for kids in braille. If you want to take your turn reading
in braille to the group, you can do that, too. Otherwise, follow along in
your own book or on your braille display.

Using Smart Home Technology to make Your Home More Accessible with Rod -
Friday, May 1, From 5 pm to 6 pm EDT.

This is the 3rd part in a series on automating your home with smart sensors
and other devices. Rod will teach us what opportunities exist for
customizing your home automation devices, such as by scripting special
commands to run based on rules you set up.

Braille Displays with Chris - Friday, May 1, From 7 pm to 8 pm EDT.

This will be a discussion of braille displays for use with computers, smart
phones, and as stand-alone devices. Bring your questions and experiences to
share.

Here's how to participate in these events:

No registration is necessary, and everyone is invited to join. Simply use
one of the following methods to connect with us on the Zoom platform when
the events are scheduled to begin.

1. From within the free Zoom Cloud Meetings app on your iPhone or Android,
just hit the "Join" button on the "Meet and Chat" tab and then enter our
meeting ID: 215 988 0888.

2. Click the following link, which will open the meeting using the app or
your web browser:

 <https://zoom.us/my/nfbpennsylvania> https://zoom.us/my/nfbpennsylvania

3. On a mobile phone, click either of the  following "One Tap" links, based
on which one is nearest to your location:

+13126266799,,2159880888# (Chicago)

+16468769923,,2159880888# (New York)

4. Using a standard telephone, dial 646-876-9923,

and then enter our meeting ID when prompted: 215 988 0888.

Joseph Drenth

First Vice-President, National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania State Board of Vocational Rehabilitation

Senior R&D Software Engineer, JBT Corporation, Automated Systems Division

Cell: 215-827-7787

Email:  <mailto:joe.drenth at gmail.com> joe.drenth at gmail.com