[Nfbnet-members-list] FW: The Coelho Center Disability Law Fellowship

NFB Community Relations CommunityRelations at nfb.org
Tue May 7 22:40:56 UTC 2019

Begin forwarded message:
From: "Perez, Katherine"
<<mailto:katherine.perez at lls.edu>katherine.perez at lls.edu>
Date: May 3, 2019 at 4:02:57 PM PDT
Subject: RE: The Coelho Center Disability Law Fellowship

The Coelho Center Law Fellowship Program is
launching this Summer 2019. Central to the
mission of The Coelho Center for Disability Law,
Policy and Innovation is bringing together and
fostering the development of leaders from our
disability community. In particular, we believe
in creating a strong pipeline of law students
with disabilities who will go on to serve as
attorneys, judges, public policy professionals,
and politicians. Our ultimate goal is to increase
representation in policy spaces where decisions are being made.
As the disability rights slogan goes, "Nothing
About Us Without Us!" or more aptly "Nothing
Without Us!" because people with disabilities
belong in every sector of society, including the
legal profession. We need disabled voices in law
schools, in law firms, in the courts, on the
bench, in the Congress, in legal academia and beyond!
In order to do so, we need to strengthen the
pathway into law school for students with
disabilities. Too often, students with
disabilities are discouraged from attaining
higher education. Educational barriers, along
with negative assumptions and attitudes, dissuade
our community from reaching careers in law and policy.
This has to change. Our program targets
early-year college students with disabilities to
intervene and provide encouragement, support and
mentorship that is crucial to success.
Currently, there is no program like The Coelho
Center Law Fellowship Program whose specific
mission is to train and mentor college students
with disabilities to think about a path toward law school.
Our program offers:
a one-week summer intensive course at Loyola Law School;
an academic-year-long virtual course;
a mentoring program between the fellows and law
students and attorneys with disabilities;
academic planning and support through the law school application process; and,
a $1,000 stipend to be used for school supplies.
Deadline to apply: Monday, May 27, 2019 at 11:59 pm PST
Download your application here to apply:
<https://www.lls.edu/coelhocenter/lawfellowsprogram/>https://www.lls.edu/coelhocenter/lawfellowsprogram/