[Nfbnet-members-list] Blind Educator

Edward Bell ebell at pdrib.com
Wed Apr 10 02:11:21 UTC 2019

             A number of years ago the Blind
Educator of the Year Award was established by the
National Organization of Blind Educators (the
educators division of the National Federation of
the Blind) to pay tribute to a blind teacher
whose exceptional classroom performance, notable
community service, and uncommon commitment to the
NFB merit national recognition. Beginning with
the 1991 presentation, this award became an honor
bestowed by our entire movement. The change
reflects our recognition of the importance of
good teaching and the affect an outstanding blind
teacher has on students, faculty, community, and all blind Americans.
             This award is presented in the
spirit of the outstanding educators who founded
and have continued to nurture the National
Federation of the Blind and who, by example, have
imparted knowledge of our strengths to us and
raised our expectations. We have learned from Dr.
Jacobus tenBroek, Dr. Kenneth Jernigan, Dr. Marc
Maurer, and our current president Mark
Riccobono  that a teacher not only provides a
student with information but also provides
guidance, advocacy, and love. The recipient of
the Blind Educator of the Year Award must exhibit
all of these traits and must advance the cause of
blind people in the spirit and philosophy of the
National Federation of the Blind.
The Blind Educator of the Year Award is presented
at the annual convention of the National
Federation of the Blind. Honorees must be present
to receive an appropriately inscribed plaque and a check for $1,000.
             Nominations should be sent to Dr.
Edward Bell, director, PDRIB, by email at
ebell at latech.edu, or by mail to PDRIB, Louisiana
Tech University, PO Box 3158, Ruston, LA 71272.
Letters of nomination must be accompanied by a
copy of the nominee’s current résumé and
supporting documentation of community and
Federation activity. All nomination materials
must be in the hands of the committee chairman by
May 1, 2019, to be considered for this year’s
award. For further information contact Edward
Bell at (318) 257-4554, or ebell at latech.edu.

Edward C. Bell, Ph.D., CRC, NOMC, Director,
Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness
Louisiana Tech University
600 Mayfield Ave / 210 Woodard Hall
PO Box 3158
Ruston LA 71272
Office: 318.257.4554                      Fax: 318.257.2259
<mailto:ebell at latech.edu>ebell at latech.edu  www.pdrib.com
"I am somehow less interested in the weight and
convolutions of  Einstein's brain than in the
near certainty that people of equal  talent have
lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops."
-- Stephen Jay Gould

---
https://www.avg.com