[Nfbnet-members-list] Fwd: NFB DB Division Looking for Convention Mentors & Mentees

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sat May 19 22:43:04 UTC 2018

  From: NFB DB Division <nfb.db.division at gmail.com>
 > Date: May 17, 2018 at 11:33:21 AM EDT
 > To: undisclosed-recipients:;
 > Subject: NFB DB Division Looking for Convention Mentors & Mentees
   Greetings,

 > Included in this email are forms from the
National Federation of the Blind DeafBlind
Division Mentoring Committee. A pilot
Mentor/Mentee Program has been created to foster
greater independence in persons who have both a
hearing and vision loss at the upcoming NFB
National Convention. As it is the Federation
philosophy that “Blind persons are the best
teachers, leaders, mentors, and hold the most
knowledge about blindness," the same is true for
persons who are deafblind. It is the hope and
desire that persons who are deafblind will
benefit from one-on-one mentoring support during
the convention to not only have a friend at the
convention and someone to share, perhaps, a meal
and thoughts about the convention experience, but
also to overcome challenges such as registering
for workshops, getting food from a vendor,
orienting to the large hotel and conference
center, and becoming familiar with the accommodations the NFB offers.

 > We are looking for Mentors who are comfortable
working with  persons who have a combined hearing
and vision loss during the convention. If you are
interested in being a Mentor, please fill out the
Mentor form and follow the instructions. Or if
you’re a person who is deafblind but might not
consider ever attending such a large convention,
as you’re not sure how a person who is
deafblind would navigate the hotel, but would
like to learn from others like you, please fill
out the Mentee form and return it to the email
provided. Please keep in mind that Mentors are
not interpreters or Support Service Providers but
are meant to provide one-on-one peer support.

 > The NFB DeafBlind Division  looks forward to
providing an innovative mentoring program to
persons who are deafblind. For questions, please email:
 > nfb.db.mentoring at gmail.com

  Thank you,
 > NFB DeafBlind Division Mentoring Committee

Please send out widely!

Marsha drenth
email: <mailto:marsha.drenth at gmail.com>marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sent with my IPhone
Please note that this email communication has
been sent using my iPhone. As such, I may have
used dictation and had made attempts to mitigate
errors. Please do not be hesitant to ask for clarification as necessary.

Begin forwarded message:

---
https://www.avg.com