[Nfbnet-members-list] Express Employment Professionals Makes Testing Accessible to Blind Job Seekers

Mau, Kirsten kmau at nfb.org
Fri Jul 13 00:39:08 UTC 2018

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Express Employment Professionals Makes Testing Accessible to Blind Job Seekers

Baltimore, Maryland (July 11, 2018): Express Employment
Professionals, a leading national staffing company, has committed to
ensuring that its employee testing solutions can be used by blind and
low-vision job seekers and employees. The decision was made after
consultation with the National Federation of the Blind, the oldest
and largest nationwide organization of blind people in the United
States and a leading advocate for equal employment and digital
accessibility. The commitment means that Express' testing solutions
will be usable by blind applicants who access computers and digital
information with technologies like text-to-speech screen readers
and/or Braille displays.

Express has adopted the accessible IBM Kenexa Assess software
nationwide for evaluating the skills of job applicants. Going
forward, Express is committed to using only accessible assessment
software that complies with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
Version 2.0, Level AA (WCAG 2.0AA), an internationally recognized
standard for equal access to websites and other digital resources.

"Unemployment among blind people is a chronic problem, primarily
driven by low expectations of our capabilities, but unnecessarily
aggravated by the inaccessibility of technology," said Mark
Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind. "Blind
people often can't successfully apply for jobs for which they are
qualified because of inaccessible application and testing
technologies. The commitment that Express Employment Professionals
has made to accessibility will dramatically enhance opportunities for
blind workers, allowing them to demonstrate their capacity and
ultimately contribute in the workplace. The National Federation of
the Blind commends Express for the steps it is taking to promote
equal access to its testing solutions, and we hope that other leaders
in staffing and recruiting will follow this company's outstanding example."

"Express Employment Professionals is committed to equal employment
opportunities for all applicants, including the blind," said Bill
Stoller, CEO of Express. "We are therefore taking steps to ensure
that our employment solutions are always fully accessible to this
underutilized pool of job seekers."

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in
Baltimore, is the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind
Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters,
and divisions in the fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico.
The NFB defends the rights of blind people of all ages and provides
information and support to families with blind children, older
Americans who are losing vision, and more. We believe in the hopes
and dreams of blind people and work together to transform them into
reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at
<http://www.nfb.org/>nfb.org.

About Express Employment Professionals
Express Employment Professionals puts people to work. It generated
$3.4 billion in sales and employed a record 540,000 people in 2017.
Its long-term goal is to put a million people to work annually. For
more information, visit <https://www.expresspros.com/>expresspros.com.

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations