[Nfbnet-members-list] NFB President Receives Automotive Innovation Award

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Tue Jan 23 03:37:33 UTC 2018

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NFB President Receives Automotive Innovation Award

Baltimore, Maryland (January 22, 2018): Mark A. Riccobono, President
of the National Federation of the Blind, has received one of the
inaugural Autos2050SM awards. The awards are being presented by the
Auto Alliance and the Alliance for Transportation Innovation.

President Riccobono is among twelve state and national political
leaders and automotive innovators who will be honored at a dinner and
awards presentation in Washington, DC on January 24. The new awards
and dinner are part of the larger
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9982&qid=2123757>Autos2050SM<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9982&qid=2123757>
event.

On October 25, 2017, the National Federation of the Blind and the
Auto Alliance hosted a
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9983&qid=2123757>first-of-its-kind
gathering of consumers with disabilities, auto representatives,
ride-sharing providers, and policymakers. The purpose of the
gathering was to discuss the advances, challenges, and path forward
for autonomous vehicle development. It was a key step in the ongoing
conversation about how autonomous vehicles can be developed and
deployed safely, while considering the needs of the 57 million
Americans with disabilities.

On January 29, 2011, President Riccobono became the
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9984&qid=2123757>first
blind individual to operate a vehicle independently. He navigated a
course at Daytona International Speedway as a demonstration of how
technology can allow the blind to drive.

"As much as I appreciate the honor of this award, its significance is
greater than recognizing the National Federation of the Blind,"
President Riccobono said. "It is also a sign that leaders in the
automobile industry recognize the importance of incorporating the
input of the blind as the next generation of automotive technology is
designed. This gives us hope that new autonomous vehicles will
provide a level of mobility and independence that the blind have
never experienced before, enhancing our ability to live the lives we want."

"The Autos2050 Driving Innovation Awards are designed to honor those
who have made significant contributions over the past year," said
Mitch Bainwol, president and CEO, Auto Alliance. "Mark and the NFB
have been tireless and effective advocates for the needs of the
entire disability community in the ongoing national debate around the
development of autonomous vehicles."

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in
Baltimore, is the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind
Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters,
and divisions in the fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico.
The NFB defends the rights of blind people of all ages and provides
information and support to families with blind children, older
Americans who are losing vision, and more. We believe in the hopes
and dreams of blind people and work together to transform them into
reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9985&qid=2123757>www.nfb.org.

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9986&qid=2123757>
Facebook Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9987&qid=2123757>
Twitter Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9988&qid=2123757>
Instagram Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9989&qid=2123757>
YouTube Logo

<mailto:nfb at nfb.org>
Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9990&qid=2123757>
Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD
21230 | (410) 659-9314
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=8153&qid=2123757&h=b32f52f02647bede>Unsubscribe

<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=8153&qid=2123757&h=b32f52f02647bede>Opt
Out