[Nfbnet-members-list] Blind People Condemn Nepal's Ban on Blind Everest Climbers

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Wed Jan 3 01:24:42 UTC 2018

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Blind People Condemn Nepal’s Ban on Blind Everest Climbers

National Federation of the Blind and World Blind
Union Call for Rescission of New Ban on Blind Mountaineers

Baltimore, Maryland (January 2, 2018): The
National Federation of the Blind (NFB) and the
World Blind Union (WBU), which represent the
United States and global blind communities
respectively, today stated their opposition to a
new ban on blind climbers participating in
expeditions on Mount Everest, recently announced by the government of Nepal.

“The National Federation of the Blind is
surprised and disappointed that Nepalese
authorities have banned blind people from
participating in expeditions on Mount Everest,”
said Mark Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind. “While we recognize that
this climb should not be undertaken by the
unprepared or inexperienced, the ban on blind
climbers is arbitrary. The first blind person to
attempt this climb, Erik Weihenmayer, summited on
May 25, 2001 in an expedition that we were proud
to sponsor. This proves that blindness, by
itself, does not prevent a climber from safely summiting Mount Everest.”

“Blind people regularly engage in all manner of
activities, both ordinary and extraordinary,” Mr.
Riccobono continued. “Despite the wide-ranging
evidence of our capacity, however, society
continues to arbitrarily restrict what we may do,
and low expectations continue to create
artificial barriers that prevent us from fully
participating in our communities. There is no
more evidence that we should not climb Mount
Everest than that we should not walk the streets
with our white canes, ride amusement park
attractions, or raise children, all of which are
things that some have tried to prevent us from
doing, but which many of us have done successfully.”

“Most blind people will never climb Mount
Everest, but neither will most of the sighted.
The issue is not whether a climber is blind but
whether he or she has the adventurous spirit,
physical endurance, and requisite skill. As in
all other endeavors, we demand to be judged by
whether we have qualities relevant to the task at
hand, not on the single characteristic of
blindness. Nepalese authorities should
immediately rescind the ban on blind climbers and
should reconsider banning any other climbers with
disabilities,” Mr. Riccobono concluded.

Dr. Fredric Schroeder, President of the World
Blind Union, said: “Climbing Mount Everest is
challenging and dangerous, and it is not
surprising people would assume it is too
challenging and dangerous for a blind person to
attempt. But Erik Weihenmayer, a blind man, did
just that and did it successfully. Excluding
blind and partially sighted people from equal
access based on assumptions reinforces and helps
perpetuate economic and social isolation. Few
blind people will attempt to climb Mount
Everest­as few sighted people will attempt to
climb Mount Everest­but Nepalese tourist
authorities should recognize that they have
neither the knowledge nor wisdom to justify the
exclusion of blind people from attempting to
achieve the seemingly unachievable, especially since it has already been done.”

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB),
headquartered in Baltimore, is the oldest and
largest nationwide organization of blind
Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB consists of
affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the fifty
states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB
defends the rights of blind people of all ages
and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are
losing vision, and more. We believe in the hopes
and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our
many programs and initiatives at
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9862&qid=2092417>www.nfb.org.

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9863&qid=2092417>
Facebook Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9864&qid=2092417>
Twitter Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9865&qid=2092417>
Instagram Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9866&qid=2092417>
YouTube Logo

<mailto:nfb at nfb.org>
Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9867&qid=2092417>
Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells
Street | Baltimore, MD 21230 | (410) 659-9314
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=7905&qid=2092417&h=709bb025db4c0ec7>Unsubscribe

<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=7905&qid=2092417&h=709bb025db4c0ec7>Opt
Out

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9868&qid=2092417>Sign