[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Applauds United Airlines for Prudent Service Animal Policy

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Tue Feb 6 21:12:32 UTC 2018

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

National Federation of the Blind Applauds United Airlines for Prudent
Service Animal Policy

Major air carrier's policy on trained service animals remains unchanged

Baltimore, Maryland (February 6, 2018): The National Federation of
the Blind, the nation's oldest and largest organization of blind
people, commends United Airlines for announcing that there will be no
changes to its policies regarding travelers with dog guides and other
service animals, as opposed to animals that may fit other categories.

"Blind people have worked for decades to make sure that dog guides
are trained and managed in a manner that supports the equal treatment
of blind people in public places," said Mark Riccobono, President of
the National Federation of the Blind. "Every day, dog guides
facilitate smooth and independent travel by the thousands of blind
people who choose to use them, including my own wife. Unnecessary and
burdensome notice and documentation requirements would have limited
the independence of these travelers. We therefore thank United for
continuing to recognize the qualifications of trained dog guides in
its recently announced policy revisions, and we call on all other air
carriers to adopt this same approach. We also urge United and the
rest of the airline industry to engage with us to ensure that all
aspects of the air travel experience, including in-flight
entertainment and the use of mobile applications and websites, are
accessible to blind people."

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in
Baltimore, is the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind
Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters,
and divisions in the fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico.
The NFB defends the rights of blind people of all ages and provides
information and support to families with blind children, older
Americans who are losing vision, and more. We believe in the hopes
and dreams of blind people and work together to transform them into
reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10201&qid=2129297>www.nfb.org.

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10202&qid=2129297>
Facebook Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10203&qid=2129297>
Twitter Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10204&qid=2129297>
Instagram Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10205&qid=2129297>
YouTube Logo

<mailto:nfb at nfb.org>
Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10206&qid=2129297>
Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD
21230 | (410) 659-9314
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=8265&qid=2129297&h=6ce13ecf9bec2fd9>Unsubscribe

<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=8265&qid=2129297&h=6ce13ecf9bec2fd9>Opt
Out