[Nfbnet-members-list] Hurricane Harvey Relief Project

Braun, Beth Bbraun at nfb.org
Tue Sep 5 23:12:32 UTC 2017

Dear Federation Members:

During the past week, many members of the
National Federation of the Blind have reached out
with offers of support for blind individuals
impacted by Hurricane Harvey. We have been asking
that you hold those offers of support until we
could coordinate with our Texas affiliate,
determine what needs exist, and develop a plan
that most effectively marshals resources to meet
the needs of blind people in impacted
communities. We are now prepared to mobilize the
National Federation of the Blind’s Hurricane
Harvey Relief Project. Below are the things you
need to know and ways that you can best help.
    * The National Federation of the Blind
Hurricane Harvey Relief Project will be managed
by Norma Crosby, president of the National
Federation of the Blind of Texas. Norma will be
assisted by our national staff as needed.
    * How you can help:
        * Donate to our Harvey Relief Fund which
we commit to only using for Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. We will accept:
            * Gift cards to major retailers,
because they are easier to share than supplies.
We encourage gift cards from Target, Walmart,
Academy Sports and Outdoors, Amazon, and Bed Bath and Beyond.
            * Transportation credits/gift cards
for Uber and Lyft to provide transportation assistance.
            * Financial contributions either
<http://www.nfbtx.org/donate.php>online (be sure
to write “Harvey Relief Fund” in the note field)
or write a check to the National Federation of
the Blind of Texas with “Harvey Relief Fund” in the memo line.
        * Adopt a family: If you would like us to
match your affiliate/chapter with a specific
family that you can help, please reach out to Norma Crosby.
        * Help us find families that include
blind individuals by sharing the following
information via email or on social media:
§  The National Federation of the Blind wants to
help! If you, or a blind person you know, has
been impacted by Hurricane Harvey, please reach
out to the National Federation of the Blind for
support from our Hurricane Harvey Relief Project.
Call (281) 968-7733, email
<mailto:ncrosby at nfbtx.org>ncrosby at nfbtx.org, or
send us a message on our Facebook page.

§  Here is a sample tweet you can cut and paste into Twitter:
If a blind person you know has been impacted by
Hurricane Harvey, email the NFB Hurricane Harvey
Relief Project <mailto:ncrosby at nfbtx.org>ncrosby at nfbtx.org or DM @NFB_Voice.

Send all donations to the NFB Hurricane Harvey
Relief Fund to National Federation of the Blind
of Texas, 1600 E. Highway 6, Ste. 215, Alvin, TX 77511-2595.
We appreciate the tremendous concern and offers
of support being offered by members and friends
of the National Federation of the Blind. We thank
you for being patient as we determine where the
needs exist and work to match resources with the
people that need help. Together with love, hope,
and determination, we will rebuild and transform our dreams into reality.

Thank You,

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind

Norma Crosby, President

National Federation of the Blind of Texas