[Nfbnet-members-list] Blind School Board Member Has Settled With School District

National Federation of the Blind webmaster at nfb.org
Thu Oct 19 00:18:05 UTC 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Blind School Board Member Has Settled With School District

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Agreement Resolving
Accommodation Issues

Baltimore, Maryland (October 18, 2017): A blind man's litigation
against a California school district on whose governing board he
serves has been resolved by agreement of the parties.

Timothy R. Nonn, who was elected to the board of the Cotati Rohnert
Park Unified School District last year, sued the district and its
superintendent with the assistance of the National Federation of the
Blind because three sitting members of the school board had voted
against his request to use an aid that he personally hired and
trained to read documents to him at school board meetings. The
agreement specifies that Mr. Nonn can hire and train his own aids to
assist him at board meetings and in most situations where he is
acting in his official capacity.

"We assisted Mr. Nonn in this litigation because it is critically
important that political opponents of elected representatives who are
blind be prevented from discriminating against them by denying
accommodations and access to information," said Mark Riccobono,
President of the National Federation of the Blind. "We are therefore
pleased that this litigation has been amicably resolved and that Mr.
Nonn will have the accommodations he needs going forward."

"I am profoundly grateful for the support of the National Federation
of the Blind," said Mr. Nonn. "Without its help, I would not have
been provided with proper accommodations for my blindness. This
experience has taught me the importance not only of blind people
standing up for our rights, but standing together. This victory also
enables me to effectively advocate for the rights of students with
special needs who are being denied accommodations."

The United States District Court, Northern District of California,
approved the agreement and dismissed the litigation (Case No.
3:17-cv-00761-JCS) on September 13. Neither Mr. Nonn nor the school
district admit any wrongdoing.

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in
Baltimore, is the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind
Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters,
and divisions in the fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico.
The NFB defends the rights of blind people of all ages and provides
information and support to families with blind children, older
Americans who are losing vision, and more. We believe in the hopes
and dreams of blind people and work together to transform them into
reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at www.nfb.org.

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9610&qid=1975045>
Facebook Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9611&qid=1975045>
Twitter Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9612&qid=1975045>
Instagram Logo

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9613&qid=1975045>
YouTube Logo

<mailto:nfb at nfb.org>
Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9614&qid=1975045>
Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD
21230 | (410) 659-9314
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=7671&qid=1975045&h=889527f08a045ff6>Unsubscribe

<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=7671&qid=1975045&h=889527f08a045ff6>Opt
Out